The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, March 30, 2020

Hills & Valleys


It is relatively unimportant as far as things go these days with the pandemic, but when I look inward at myself, I do see how my emotions ebb and flow.  One day I will feel comfortable and feel that we will be able to get through this situation with life relatively unscathed.  I can convince myself that we will be able to keep the curve flat enough so that we will be able to successfully treat folks who have this Covid-19 situation in a rough way in our hospitals and that the survival for them will not be determined by lack of care and shortages.  But, then the next day, I fear that we are already too, too late and that there will be so very many folks who, IF MEDICAL TREATMENT WERE AVAILABLE, would be able to recover.... but will perish because of our mistakes, our poor planning, our lack of medical supplies. 

To imagine a state  of affairs where some are suggesting the need for selecting who lives and who dies based upon their "value" to society makes me hurt so very deeply inside.  Even after Covid-19 is past... how do we, if we are a survivor, cope with these choices our society may have made? 

* * * * *

On a "lighter side" I found an old can of instant coffee hidden away in the cupboard.  We had it because we do not actually own a coffee maker as I am the only coffee drinker in the family and would, when wanting coffee, get it at work or at a convenience store.  In our state of sheltering in, I made myself a cup of instant coffee.  It was quite pleasant and felt like something "normal". 

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I share that inner hurt about the decisions being forced upon our medical care givers. California Senator Diane Feinstein has published an open letter outlining the strategic planning that is required to better prepare for a future medical crisis or pandemic. The United States was ill prepared and our response has been poorly handled. The letter is illuminating and I hope that you and your readers might be able to access it.

Monday, 30 March, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I wasn't a coffee drinker until I hit my 50s, I forced myself at first because it is socially convenient. Now I have a mug every morning first thing.

Tuesday, 31 March, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I only started to drink coffee in graduate school because it was free and my research advisor sometimes brought donuts to our lab’s research meetings. :) But I have enjoyed it for all the decades since that time.

Tuesday, 31 March, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Self introspection doesn't help. We all have to put on our big girl's panties and meet the day.
the Ol'Buzzard

Wednesday, 01 April, 2020  
Blogger WORLD MOST TRUSTED HACKERS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, 03 April, 2020  
Blogger WORLD MOST TRUSTED HACKERS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, 05 April, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home