The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Electronics


I am very fortunate to be able to do my U work on-line.  I am thankful for that.  There are many folks who have no on-line option for their work during this time.

Yet, I must also say that on-line work is hard for a traditional professor/teacher.  It is difficult for the following reasons:

1.  A big part of the "energy" I get from being a professor is the actual "face-to-face" communication.

2.  Subtle detail and nuance is NOT a forte of electronic delivery of content.

3.  Computerized versions of most concepts is much more labor-intensive to SET UP, and to PREPARE for student's use.

4.  Grading of work and exams electronically is TREMENDOUSLY more laborious than other grading methods.

5.  While I work very diligently to get this new electronic content up to snuff... meaning I am building much of it from the ground up to TRY to be as rigorous, as insightful, as thought provoking, and as successful of a guide for getting students to think and reason about biology deeply..... I am NOT convinced that this electronic delivery IS as strong as face-to-face. 

I do have to keep trying to make my courses as good for the students as I can.  I keep worrying that I am falling far short of what I want them to have... and falling short of what I *could* provide for them face-to-face.  I want them to feel engaged. I want them to feel inspired. I want them to think and know things deeply.  But I fear that electronic delivery feels cold and sterile, and I fear that it may be only providing basic memorization/regurgitation of content even though I am trying to not have it be so. 

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Luiz Gomes said...

Guten Tag, wie geht es dir? Ich suche neue Follower für meinen Blog. Ich kann dir auch folgen. https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

Wenn Sie mir folgen, senden Sie den Link zu meinem Blog und ich werde Ihnen zurück folgen.

Wednesday, 15 April, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You seem to be conscientiously hard at this.

Wednesday, 15 April, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home