The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Outdoor Work

I mowed 1/2 of the lawn today.  Really only 1/4 is actually growing appreciably (where our dog does her “business”).  But I did 1/2 so that it would look even.  The other half has no growth yet to speak of.... but that is pretty normal here.  We still had frost and snow several mornings last week.  I also spent the nice day outside cutting down into several sections a County tree that fell and rested on the fence that bordered the back yard.  Normally the County would have taken care of that by now because it was County property.  But, with the Covid-19 situation that is all on hold.  The only reason I decided to cut the tree myself was that I would need to do it eventually as most of the tree was covering a good 25sq ft of the yard and it would be impossible to mow the lawn when that area of grass started to grow.  The trunk of the tree was about 1 ft in diameter (~30cm), so it was not a huge tree but it did have a lot of branches, and it was causing the fence to start to sag as well.  Unfortunately, in a fit of getting rid of clutter about 5-6 years ago, I gave my 35 year old chain saw to a nephew and had to saw the tree into several chunks by hand.  I will take two aspirin tonight when I go to bed.  The chainsaw was my father’s before I inherited it when he died.  He had only used it once, and truth be told in all the years I had it, I too had only used it once.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I think all of our trees our in pretty good shape.
Also the lawn here is far from getting mowed

Saturday, 18 April, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not everybody cuts a tree on their day off. :)

Sunday, 19 April, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hmmm.... I thought most folks “sawed logs” (Zzzzz... (slept)) on their day off. :)

PipeTobacco

Sunday, 19 April, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Oops.... math error... I meant 25 ft square.... 25 sq ft is puny. This was a 25x25 foot square patch. :)

Sunday, 19 April, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

We had a tree come down from the wet snowstorm a week ago. Yesterday I took out the chainsaw and cut the tree into firewood lengths. There was a time back forty years ago when my wife and I were living subsistence that I got twelve cord of wood in twelve foot lengths and cut and split it in a week. Yesterday after I finished I was beat - totally exhausted - it really bothered me that my endurance has so depleted; My wife reminds me that for a man in his eighties...; but for a person that has lived such a physical lifestyle, it is a hard reckoning.
the Ol'Buzzard

Monday, 20 April, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home