The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Blah


Just a day of reading a big bunch of papers.  Reading them electronically gives me a weird type of eyestrain, and putting comments on electronically is time consuming.  I much prefer at this point, to have papers in tangible paper form, and to use a trusty red pen for commenting.  But, that is not possible of course. 

Over the years, I have had several students comment to me that their paper, when I returned it to them, would have the odor of my pipe tobacco upon them.  It was very much my "norm" to always have one or several pipes with me when I was reading through these writing attempts from students. The pipe tobacco, it seems, helped to clarify my vision of the content of the students words on the page.  

Things change... but work continues, I guess. 

I ran 8.2 miles today.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Tangible paper form and trusty red pen are definitely to be preferred i dealing with this task.

Friday, 26 June, 2020  
Blogger Geo. said...

Dear Prof., In the 1960s I wrote for 2 underground newspapers while camping and traveling summers in California. Yes, I was at Peoples' Park on Bastille Day but mostly wrote of the beauty of mountains and the sea. Worked hop & other harvests in Sloughhouse and tutored for money. Paper was my means of expression then. I sent things in. I also wrote letters to a girl in Sacramento. She married me! So there's a romance to paper--and a permanence. I don't like to think of anybody evil enough to pull the plug on the worldwide electronic web, but must admit the history and ideas of this century may be written in disappearing ink.

Friday, 26 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home