The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, June 04, 2020

Lack of Focus


I seem to be in a phase where I have limited focus at the moment.  I should be doing a whole helluva lot of "gizmoey" things for my classes, but my mind is just not focused.  I guess I am feeling a bit out of sorts about doing damn near nothing but work.  I hate even saying that, because I keep reminding myself that I am damn fortunate to still have full-time employment during this pandemic.  I *can* do my work safely from home.  I have it pretty lucky.  I *know* this.  Yet, today I do not feel it. 

Last week, when I fell during my run by hitting the edge of a raised part of sidewalk with my foot,  I knew it would be aggravating for a while.  I hit and scrapped up my knee in just the right location where it flexes the most and I have to wear a gauze pad and antibiotic ointment on it to get it to heal without scarring.  Because it is at the point of significant motion, I cannot tape it in place, and basically wrap an "ACE BANDAGE" around it to hold the pad and ointment in position.  That is not a perfect solution, because it slides and shifts position all day, but it is the best method I have at the moment.  Since I am home, I have take to wearing shorts so that I have stopped wearing the gauze and bandage during the day since Wednesday, but I still wear it at night because if I did not, I would wear off the scab while moving in my sleep and it would take even longer to heal and would cause bleeding on the sheets.  But, it is tiring and the bandage is a bit cumbersome so I cannot bend my leg into a comfortable position while sleeping. 

The other thing that happened when I fell was that as I was falling I landed first on the front of my foot and experienced hyperflexion of  the foot of the leg that I fell on.  This has caused the upper plantar region of my foot to be swollen and inflamed.  It was really painful last Friday and has admittedly been getting better.  But the normally VERY veiny top of my left foot now shows no veins at all due the swelling.  Fortunately, the swelling is going down, but it is damn slow.  This top plantar region of my foot only hurt when I walked around on Friday, and it has not felt painful while running on any days... but the inflammation is aggravating and aggravatingly slow to dissipate.

Again, I know these are minor, insignificant problems in the greater scheme of things.  But, I needed a place to gripe a bit.  My apologies if it is annoying.

PipeTobacco  

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

You see, this is why I don't run! It's not good for you! Hope your injuries are better soon.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I know we all need to remind our self of things, including my self.
I am still employed and sure I am out in about. But still no report cases of covid were I am at.
Two people I take care of is top notch. I had a LOT worst. That I went home and drank a six pack of beer

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Posting of how it is with you is part of blogging.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home