The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 17, 2020

78th Percentile!


Ok.

Last week I wrote about registering for a "virtual" half marathon race because I had no other option due to damn Covid-19.  Please remember that on December 31st 2019, I had made my two *running* New Year's Resolutions to be:

1.  Run 12 separate half marathon runs during the year to prove to myself that I could do it.  That meant once a month.

2.  Run an actual half marathon in a race setting, at a race pace (basically, trying my damnedest to run as hard as I could, so as to get a personal record).

Well, because Covid-19 eliminated all the actual races, the virtual race format was my only option.  The "virtual" race is still an actual "race" but you do it wherever you wish to.  So, this morning at 5:55am, I began my 13.1 mile race ( 21.1 kilometer race).  

I pushed myself as hard as I could.  I kept pushing as much as I could every step of the way. I did  not allow myself any easing up. I would not look at my watch (stopwatch).  I did not want to know where I was at, because I was worried that I wasn't in line for the pacing I needed to get the goal I wanted.  If I had glanced at my watch, and my timing was not sufficient to at least get close to my goal, I knew I would feel a helluva lot of disappointment at myself.  So, I thought it best to just keep pushing and trying and pushing as best as I could every damn step.  

When I hit the finish line (a small red paint dot I had put on the trail earlier this Summer that I knew demarcated my 13.1 mile distance), only then did I allow myself to look at and stop the stopwatch. 

My "pipe dream" goal was to try my damnedest to get under two hours.  I had this as a "pie-in-the-sky" sort of dream for myself which I really did not think was possible.  My personal BEST time through the other previous half marathon runs I had done this year had been 2 hours 4 minutes and 28 seconds.  

I ran my half marathon race today in 1 hour, 57 minutes, and 31 seconds!!!!!!!!!   

13. 1 miles (21.1 km) in less than TWO HOURS!!!!!

To say that I am ecstatic about my time would be an understatement.  

After I showered and made myself a very large iced coffee, I went on the computer to see where my time fell for me in regards to my age group (old duffer) for all half marathon distance runners.  

For my age group.... my pace put me at the 78th percentile!!!!!!!  I was flabbergasted.  I was *hoping* that I might hopefully be at just a bit above the 50th percentile.  My speed was at the 78th percentile for my age group.  

For an old fellow who smoked a pipe for 40+ years, and was pretty damn sedentary during most of his life, and used to weigh close to 300 pounds (131 kg; 20.5 stone).... I can say I am really, really surprised, happy, and a bit shocked to complete a half marathon AND have my pace being at the 78th percentile is like frosting on the cake!  Never in my wildest imagination did I think I could do this. 

Trust me.... I know in the greater scheme of things this really doesn't mean a helluva lot when compared to all the horror and crap that is going on in the world.  So, please do not think I am being foolish or neglectful of the so many important things.  But, I have to just allow myself to feel this happy contentment for today.  

PipeTobacco


3 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Indeed, you should feel happy. Congratulations, You busted your personal best by a lot. Obviously your determination and individual push was the correct strategy.
I'm probably feeling a bit of surrogate pride. My recovery from surgery will keep me away from my regular workout and exercises and tennis games for another 4 weeks. I was out of action for a month previously, so at an age of "use it or loose it" I'm not a happy camper and concerned about muscle and tone loss. So, to read of your achievement is a boost! Cheers!

Monday, 17 August, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh man, that's fantastic..way to go...so proud of you...

Monday, 17 August, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Bravo! Please revel in your success for as long as you wish.

Tuesday, 18 August, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home