The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Woke Up from a Vivid Pipe Dream

 

This morning, when I woke up at 5:00am, I had and vividly recalled the dream I was having (sometimes I remember my dreams, sometimes not).  In this particular dream, I was meandering around in one of my favorite pipe shops, looking a the hundreds of pipes for sale while having in my own pipe a few small samples of different new pipe tobaccos the proprietor had recently developed.  

Nothing particularly shocking, out-of-the-ordinary, or poignant happened in my dream.  It was just a "day" and was "new" even though it was just simply a sort of "rerun" of numerous real-life days I have had over the years.  It felt so normal, so just an average sort of day.  No stress, no anxiety, no worries, no fears, no fussing, no deadlines.... just a casual day.

It was a most refreshing dream.  It was alive in my mind as I ran my 8.1 miles (~13km) this morning, even as I was also praying the rosary while I ran.  

Now, as I fuss around with more electronic preparations for work, I have a pretty strong desire for a pipe.  The very strong yearnings I had experienced for several days a few weeks ago had declined to modest levels.  I am wondering if I am entering a new cycle of renewed and deeper yearnings again for a spell?  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I had a easy peasy weird dream last night..my deceased husband was back and all was well. was a good dream about him finally but weird that he was back..if he had been smoking a pipe I'd really be freaked out.

Thursday, 13 August, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Could you somehow train yourself to "enjoy" those yearnings vicariously, remembering how much comfort and joy your pipes gave you without letting them tempt you back to daily pipe smoking? If you could learn to enjoy your deep "sense memories" of pipe smoking, maybe you could have the best of both worlds, taking comfort in what they gave you without again becoming physically "hooked" on them. A psychological "hook" would be harmless, I assume, and it certainly seems that your pipes have a deep, and probably permanent, psychological/emotional and maybe even intellectual "hook" into you. Is there some way you can "lean in" to that and let that be an effective substitute for the physiological "hook" the actual pipes and tobacco would provide?

Thursday, 13 August, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope all is well.

Thursday, 13 August, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home