The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Thinking About Dad

 

During the weekend, I had a dream in which my father was part.  It was very pleasant, and I have been thinking quite a bit about him since that time.  

This past March marks the 26th year since my father passed away.  He was a wonderfully kind, gentle person.  I miss him very much.  

As I have written on other occasions, I do miss the chance to spend some time with him where we would smoke our pipes together and chat.  I so very much wish I could have that experience with him again. 

I do also miss the two of us going often to eat a few Coney Dogs together on a Saturday afternoon.  

I miss seeing my father at Mass.  He was not raised Catholic, but was instead born into a family that was Lutheran... but really for most purposes they did not really attend services at all.  He chose to convert to being Catholic when he wanted to marry my mother.  They met when my Dad had returned from World War II, and they fell in love instantly.  My father began classes to become Catholic as soon as possible after he knew he wanted to marry my mother.  But, after becoming Catholic, my father was extremely dedicated to being Catholic, and I remember watching him at Mass, and seeing his strong, intent gaze as he tried to absorb each week the readings and homily.  

For much of my life, I had always thought that I mostly looked like my mother's side of the family.  But, perhaps because of my aging, or perhaps because of my significant weight loss, I have come to realize that I have a lot more features of my Dad than I had previously recognized.  My forehead, my mouth, the organization of my teeth, the heavy, very easy to notice veination of my hands and feet.  

My father would be 96 at the moment (97 in November).  I really wish I could chat with him and I wish we could be again smoking our pipes together in gentle, quiet camaraderie.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My dad would have been 108 this year. As it was he did pretty well for 86 years before he died in 1999.

Tuesday, 11 August, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

he's always by your side..

Tuesday, 11 August, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Our ancestor are with us. Love here about your dad. But I like to hear things what other people shares.

Wednesday, 12 August, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...Last week, I had many visitors from beyond the veil...I fell asleep during a movie and I felt a presence, not a weight, on my lap. It felt like Nourie, our beloved cat that died a couple years back. That night, I dreamed of a beloved friend that passed away from cancer about five years back...that same night, my father also came to visit me. In the dream, he's not so much seen as FELT...like a presence...sort of the way you look at an impressionist painting...different colors and images combining to create the impression of an object, field, or flower. If this were a movie or a novel, I'd wonder if all this was some kind of foreshadowing...None of it was frightening...Only comforting...

Wednesday, 12 August, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home