The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 10, 2020

Covid Exposure

 

With Summer being the time for graduations parties, I happen to have three different nieces and nephews who  are 2020 graduates.  So, even though it felt a bit nerve wracking due to the Covid-19 situation, we made plans on how to try to attend safely.  

The first one was two weeks ago, and I was rather shocked and dismayed with the notion that at least 2/3 of the ~150 guests were not masked and were not practicing social distancing.... and a helluva lot of them were indoors.  For this party, I went solo (my wife was experiencing a migraine and begged off).  It was challenging, as I strictly wore my mask, stayed in the outdoor region of the party, and practiced the 6 ft rule (except when a couple of folks hugged me in greeting.... which caught me off guard).  The whole experience felt odd and surreal.... I missed seeing a lot of folks, but it did feel stressful as well.  I only stayed about 45 minutes, before I drove home and showered.  

Yesterday was the the second one.  At this one, my wife also attended.  It was even more dismaying.... we were two of perhaps seven people who wore masks out of about again ~150 people.  Even though this party was held in a huge pole barn with doors on all sides open, again there was very little social distancing.   And, two different family members hugged me (again, I was caught off guard).  But then, the real kicker.... a nephew came and was talking with me, and he explained that his sister (my niece) who was not at this party....  who is on a college sports team found out on Saturday that she tested positive for Covid-19!  This was one of the people who had hugged me at the first party.  

My stress ratcheted up several notches.  

Now, I keep reassuring myself that I am likely fine.  I took the precautions I could (mask wearing, shower) etc.  My niece does not really know when she became infected, and is not really displaying any problematic symptoms at the moment.  And, the hug I received from her was now TWO weeks ago.  During the past two weeks I have not had any symptoms of anything health wise.... no changes in temperature, etc.  

But as a precaution, I am going to "lay low" this week in a bit of self-imposed isolation (other than my wife).... which, I guess.... isn't a helluva lot different than most of my days lately.  But, I am going to be especially careful.  I will go with the hopefully safe and sound idea that if I am not showing any symptoms for THREE weeks after the brief encounter, that I am ok.  

Hopefully the precautions I took (mask wearing, hand sanitizing, showering upon return) will make my risk still low even with the exposure I experienced.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I hope and trust your precautions will be effective. It sounds as if you were very careful. But your post illustrates what I simply can't get my head around, the lack of caution on the part of so many.
Heaven knows most of us are fatigued by the pandemic but the cavalier attitude and behavior of others, the lack of safe behavior, is exactly why the US is spiking. Why is there such a disconnect?
All the best to you.

Monday, 10 August, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

All the Americans that I know are like you and being for careful, but you have an inordinate number of fools down there.

Monday, 10 August, 2020  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Isn't it the worst when so few people have masks on that they make you feel like a nut for wearing one? I now feel like how Michael Jackson felt in his surgeon mask at social gatherings.

Monday, 10 August, 2020  
Blogger The Liberty Belle said...

Best wishes for your health. Scary times, particularly when so many ignore proper precautions.

Monday, 10 August, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home