The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Odds and Ends Day...

 

I am spending today doing lots of little "futzing around" things... not really in the Yiddish sense of "wasting time" but more in the sense of a bunch of little tasks that are all over the map in terms of focus.... both in terms or work, in terms of "honey-do" items, in terms of hobbies.... and surprise (sarcasm).... my post for today.  So, here it is a scattering of my thoughts:

 1.  Even though I am 100%, fully on-board for voting Biden-Harris this November..... I am not really paying attention to any of the Democratic National Convention.  I have heard minor snippets of highlights of a few speeches the next day, and that is more than sufficient for me.  I have never enjoyed the "rip-roaring" stump speeches or the "rah-rah" rally the troops speeches EVER from any party. Even from the party I favor and feel does the mostly right thing.... the speeches just feel manipulative.

 2.    Because of the damn Covid-19 virus, I think it is close to 100% likely that either a) gyms will be closed this winter, even on campus, or b) I will feel the risk is still much too great to be able to run on the indoor tracks or treadmills.  This has been making me have to reconsider my vow to never have a damn treadmill at home.  New treadmills are a helluva lot of money, so I do not think they are worth it... but, because so many folks get what I call an "aspirational" treadmill... that they think will encourage them to begin to exercise..... and probably at least 80% of those purchases end up being expensive, and heavy clothes holders that are never used and eventually go up for sale because they want to get them out of their basement.... so I am searching around for a used treadmill.  If I can find one and the damn thing is decent enough to run on, I will be able to continue my running once the outdoor paths are icy.... which hopefully will not be until late December (fingers crossed). 

3.  When Covid-19 hit back in March.... I had just gotten a haircut the week or so before.  But, I have not had a haircut or beard/mustache trim since.  I was thinking I was going to wait until just before the Fall semester at the U started and then get one.  But, I am reconsidering even that at the moment.  I have never had my hair as long as it is right now in my entire life (and it is not really that long, but it is damn curly so I am starting to look like a grey haired Bob Ross).  But, when I return to campus, I am going to be wearing masks the entire time (U Policy... and just common sense), and I will be wearing a hat too.... so, really... I guess there is no real need to take the risk at the barber either at the moment.  Perhaps I will wait to get a haircut until after I get the (hoped for very soon) vaccine?  

4.  Small addendum.... if I let my hair just be natural.... it would look like Bob Ross.  But, I cannot stand the feel of the curls in and around my ears especially, so instead, I work to slick back my hair as much as its curliness allows and have a bit of a growing "duck tail" in the back.

5.  I saw a really nice branch that had broken/fallen out of a tree when I was running today.  It is very straight and is perhaps about 8-9 feet long (2.5 - 3 meters long).  I have been thinking about a new "hobby" that does not REQUIRE a lot of skill or time for a bit, and was thinking I want to make myself a "walking stick".  I am thinking I may go back this afternoon and grab that branch that fell, and walk it home.  I have a good pocket knife, and a few rudimentary carving tools.  And, I am sure I have a bunch of tool choices to try to "debark" the branch.  I think it might be fun.  

6.  Speaking of carving a bit more.... even though they were NEVER a pipe choice I gravitated towards through all my years as a pipe smoker.... I did have (probably still have one or two in a drawer somewhere) a few corncob pipes.  BUT, sporadically over the years, I thought it might be fun to try to MAKE a corncob pipe.  I remember, hell, it must have been 4 or 5 years ago that I was talking with my father-in-law about this and I remember saving a few washed corn cobs just for such an attempt.  I must have them somewhere in the some cubby hole in the garage, I bet.  I may go look for them and if they are there and are in decent shape, that might be another "carving" idea I may take a shot at.  

7.  I made a completely full crock pot of red beans last night and have been letting it simmer overnight and all day today.  They should be really good for dinner tonight.  Might use them to make nachos.... or perhaps we will eat them with cornbread and rice.  Not sure yet.  I made my favorite bean recipe.  It has some garlic, curry, paprika, pepper, ginger, and allspice in it.  And, just to add a little hint of sweetness, I put in finely diced apple or peaches that end up dissolving as the beans simmer and become tender.  

PipeTobacco


4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That bean recipe sounds good. Husband was telling me that in the UK there is an auction site that is selling off goods from stores that have gone out of business. It might be worth looking to see if there is a similar site in the US. But second-hand is probably your best bet.
oh I hope Trump is beaten.

Thursday, 20 August, 2020  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

If I see someone jogging through the snow with a Bob Ross afro, smoking a pipe, I'll know it's you.

I have lots of friends who swear by the Peleton bikes.

Thursday, 20 August, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I started covering politics in the mid '60s and before I retired has been to the national conventions many times over the decades. In the early days, there was more real political work and thus they were more interesting to me. By the later years they had become "coronations" and essentially TV programs.
This year has been stunningly different. The speeches have been lower keyed, and some of the prepared information segments have been fascinating. I especially enjoyed the live roll call of states, that went live to each of the states and several other locations. As for the speeches, they've been more thoughtful and not so much geared to applause lines designed to rally the delegates in a large hall.

Thursday, 20 August, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have had a few haircuts via Sue who always does it anyway. It is time for another.

Friday, 21 August, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home