The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, September 21, 2020

Cause of Absence

First, I apologize for my very abrupt silence.  It was not my intention, nor was it my plan.  It did shoot to hell my goal of writing each and every day as well.  

So, the long-and-short of it, is that I was away, because I was overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed with the way to get the Fall semester started. I have been literally on the computer almost non-stop from morning to night other than when I had to be in class for face-to-face.  

I have five classes this semester.  Two are now wholly online due to Covid-19 restrictions, two are hybrid with a mix of face-to-face and online due to Covid-19, and one is face-to-face.  But, all require back-up-plans to be completely online for students who test positive or have to quarantine because they had an exposure.  

So, in reality, every class has to be online, but also half of my work also has to be face-to-face.  

In the Summer, I did this well for the class I had.

Fortunately, I have that same class this Fall, so the framework I used can be MOSTLY reused (of course there is still a helluva lot of fiddling to try to do it better now that I know better what works well and what does not).  

But, four classes had to be built electronically from the ground up.  And, it takes MUCH, MUCH longer than it seems it should.... if you try to do it with quality.  

 Until this past weekend, I was so completely glued to the computer, day and night, whether at work or at home.... anytime I was not in front of the class..... that I felt I was a cyborg.  And, all I was doing for the first few weeks was treading water to keep from drowning.  

Setting things up is so, so laborious.  My mouse hand is overworked beyond belief because everything in our U's LMS requires mouse clicks over and over and over again.  

It was not until last Friday morning that I finally felt I was not just desperately treading water to keep out of the whirlpool, and felt that I finally reached a manageable, albeit extremely hectic routine.  

I tried to get a bit ahead on Saturday, and I took Sunday off.  So, here I am.  I am trying to be back here.  I have missed all of you, but I could not do more than I did.

I am sorry.

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

No need to apologize. It seems like an unreasonable amount of work was demanded of you. The coronavirus still takes a toll even if you avoid catching the virus.

Monday, 21 September, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

We've missed your notes and observations. Glad that you are well, sorry that you have been so overwhelmed with duty, and understanding.
My heart goes out to those of you faced with the challenge of educating and teaching. The pandemic has exacted a suffering of intellect as well. I tell you what I've told friends who are teaching at university and/or at home, you are appreciated!
This age has created a new crop of heroes!

Monday, 21 September, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Glad you are somewhat catching up!

A suggestion: next time you are so swamped that you can't write anything for an extended period of time, perhaps you could simply submit an occasional one-line "reply" to your most recent post, so people would know that you were OK and hadn't had a heart attack or been whisked off to a COVID ward.

From what I've seen of a few professor-acquaintances, you are far from alone in your sense of overwhelm. So don't be too hard on yourself; you're being asked to acquire a new competence in a ridiculously short period of time.

Monday, 21 September, 2020  
Blogger Michael Valentine Smith said...

switch hands with the mouse. give the right hand a rest and let your brain train a new hand. works for me.

Monday, 21 September, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am glad that is the reason. One wonders.

Do you mean five classes or five separate courses?

Either way, it is a bit much. If it's courses it is way too much.

Wednesday, 23 September, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Glad you're okay professor...Educators are getting slammed with this COVID fiasco. Be well!

Thursday, 24 September, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home