The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Chaos Ensues

All manner of chaos erupted since my last post.  But, I have wanted to post, so I am going to at least make a bulleted list of as many details of various thoughts as I can recall and muster to list:

  • Went to the funeral of my musician friend.  The Catholic Church of his funeral was one of only a few in the region I had not visited before.  
  • One of my kids came home and is having to be in quarantine due to a direct exposure to a COVID positive individual.
  • Students in my classes are dropping like flies.... I have had at least 30 students who have had to quarantine and I am working like a dog to keep up on all the requests for accommodations and electronic alternatives to damn near everything.
  • The editors for my book revision have seemed to have gone AWOL.... their deadline is fast approaching yet they do not respond to my queries.  
  • We had snow yesterday..... the harsh, windy, cold is hard to get used to when you have just felt the pleasure of warmer weather only a few days prior.
  • I had a grant deadline to meet that has required more time than I have available. 
  • And there are a whole helluva lot of other things, I am not really remembering at the moment as I try to feverishly write out this list.  

Besides the "news" of the above, my mind has been like a pinball shooting around from place to place all throughout the landscape of the machine. My varied thoughts have hitting on these bumpers a lot during the last several days:

  • I have to get preparing of final exams to get them ready so that they may be finalized in time for all six classes.
  • I have to better plan my running so that during this chaos of not only the COVID chaos, but the chaos of the approach of the end of the semester, that I do not neglect this important activity.
  • I have to figure out if there is some way I could return to my pipes in a way that is not going to create worry and also not going to take substantial effort.  My PCS score.... my pipe craving score has stayed consistently at 9 for the last several days and it is exhausting.  But it is also just as exhausting to try to figure out a way to do so successfully.  I have thought about it a lot.  But, I am not seeing a viable path yet.  

Running out of time for today's "brief" post of bullets.... but a few odds and ends:

  • I was concerned that I had not yet ran my April half marathon (13.1 miles ( ~ 21km)), so I forced myself up extra early yesterday and ran 13.2 miles to get the damn thing done.  It actually did feel good when I finished.  I felt the least amount of stress I have felt in about a week when I was done.  I am still keeping up with the 52-54 miles (~86km) a week I have been maintaining in running for each week even though sometimes it is quite a challenge. 
  • I am enamored with molasses lately, and have been using it as a substitute for jams, jellies, and preserves of late.  It is very tasty on an English Muffin, and I was contemplating using it instead of maple syrup in the next go-around I have with pancakes, which I am thinking about making for my wife and me for dinner perhaps next week.  
  • I am thinking that if I have enough time to think, I will try to have at least some of tomorrow's post be in reply to comments from Ol'Buzzard. I had been meaning to do this since he left me comments last week.... but with the chaos, I did not get a chance to be on here to reply in a cohesive fashion.  

 PipeTobacco

 



 

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Please know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of the various folks who keep up with your blog. We're rooting for you, and we probably won't even dwell on the messy chaos that may likely ensue for those who try to eat yummy molasses while keeping a thick beard. :-)

Be kind to yourself. Be patient with yourself. Take time to relax amidst the stressors. You'll be OK.


Tuesday, 20 April, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! You have that right.... raw molasses is so “drippy” in comparison to jam or preserves that on more than one occasion I did end up with a dark streak or two in my otherwise grey beard. It made me feel I was reverting back to by brown haired youth!

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 20 April, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have not forgotten that you asked questions about my caps. I have just forgotten to respond. Yet.

Tuesday, 20 April, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

It truly sounds like you are saturated with chaos right now.

Tuesday, 20 April, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

What a whole lot of stress, if that is another word for chaos! I'm not sure that I've ever had molasses, not by itself anyway.

Tuesday, 20 April, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...just control what you can control. Push the rest out of your mind as if it doesn't exist. DO NOT ALLOW EXTERNAL CIRCUMSTANCES to get you flustered and stressed. If someone complains about their own schedule being affected by yours, you shrug and continue to do your tasks at a pace you feel comfortable. Do not subtract from yourself for anyone's convenience. You're the only one who can take care of yourself, no one else. And light up a pipe, willya? I feel it would do you a world of good. Just my thoughts, Monsieur.

Wednesday, 21 April, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home