The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Vino - Wino


 

(PCS = 8)

For better or worse, a number of years ago I was asked by our parish priest to be President of our Parish Council.  I am not exactly sure why he felt I should be in this role, but I accepted in order to try to be helpful.  Our priest likes to have the Parish Council meet once each month and our council consists of about 12 parishioners and our priest.  

We had our April meeting last evening.  Even in the time of Covid, the folks want to share.  But, our meeting is now held in a large gymnasium of the elementary school and we are widely socially distanced by far, far more than six feet.  But, as part of the sharing, people always want refreshments.  One person brought in an assortment of cheese, vegetables and fruits.  Another one brought in a few dozen cookies.  I was comfortable passing on the foods. When I lost my ~130 pounds (~59kg, ~9.3 stone) several years ago, I became cognizant of and focused on changing what I call "mindless eating" in myself.  For a lot of years at events of this sort, or similar ones at work or even in some larger social situations, if food was available.... I was eating it.... as a method to occupy my time... as a method to not have to talk.... nor to talk too much, but also to listen.... as a way to avoid the discomfort I would feel in a "crowd" of this sort as I am more naturally inclined to be quiet in groups of folks.  It was very hard at first to avoid "mindless eating", but I have become quite adept at it now.  Unless a food at one of these sorts of events LOOKS especially delicious, unique, or tasty.... I can easily now forgo eating it.  And if I do eat it, it is a small piece.  

At the meeting, we were discussing some stained glass window repair work that was needed for the parish and we also discussed some electrical & lighting issues that have been occurring and how to adjust/fix those.  We also talked some about the COVID precautions we have implemented when Mass was once again able to be held and talked about how the restrictions and precautions worked.  

There was also a table of liquid refreshments on another table in the gymnasium, and part way through the meeting, I was getting thirsty so I traipsed over to the far side of the gym to see if there would be some Diet Pepsi, or at least some water.  But, when I got to the table, there were no diet sodas of any sort just sugary sodas which I no longer drink.  I did see some bottles of water..... but.... then I noticed... one of the ladies of the council brought a fairly hefty jug of homemade wine that her brother makes each year.  I have met him on several different occasions at Mass, even though he lives far away in another state.  But, I have had his wine a few times.... and it is awfully damn good!  

So, I poured myself a glass of this rich, deep, dark red wine and proceeded back to my seat.  I had not realized it earlier, but a smattering of folks at the meeting who I THOUGHT were drinking some sort of cola (we were spread out far apart and far away from each other)... were actually drinking some of the wine as well.... and I just had not previously noticed.  This wine this fellow makes.... it is very hard to describe with justice... it is so beautifully and intensely flavored that you feel you can know and sense each grape individually.  And, his wine is no slouch either in regards to potency.  I think this is the first drink I have had in perhaps a year or year and a half.  It was exceptionally pleasant... and exceptionally relaxing to boot!

The rest of the meeting was very pleasant.  But, I have to admit.... when the meeting concluded, in my gently relaxed state... I sure as hell wanted to very badly to have a pipe.  It seemed so unnatural and unfinished an evening to NOT have a pipe.  It took me quite a lot of energy when I returned home to avoid going into my study/office and grabbing one of my pipes and pouches of tobacco.  

Because of this meeting, my wife waited for me to get home so we could eat dinner together even though it was close to 9:00pm.  We nearly always do this for  each other whenever one of us has a later than desirable meeting.  I am especially glad she waited. I ate my monster-sized salad, my multiple mountains of three different vegetables, my large garbanzo bean salad, and my turkey/hummus sandwich with gusto.... not only because it tasted great... but also because it gave a valuable distraction from my pipe desire as well. 

PipeTobacco  

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

To a former evangelical, having wine at a church event doesn't fit although I approve now. Even our communions used grape juice.

Thursday, 29 April, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

My Italian relatives used to make homemade wine that was extremely potent. I thought it tasted awful, but then I can't stand wine of any type. I also dislike grape juice or anything grape flavored. (love grapes though) I didn't realize that you had lost so much weight; that's incredible. Were you on some sort of program? I do the nervous eating too, although in staff meetings it was usually to break up the boredom.

Thursday, 29 April, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home