The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, May 14, 2021

Brief


 

A brief update.... not feeling capable of writing much:

  • My wife's results came in last evening.  One was a plantar wart, three were nothing serious, just "age spots" and one was pre-cancerous.  The doctor assured us that it was completely removed and there is no risk posed.  And, there is not further treatment needed.  But, it is still a bit alarming.  I have to try to looking at these results as good... but part of me is feeling worry about it still.  
  •  My wife never has used sunscreen (much to my chagrin) because she has as she says "a darker skin tone".   I sunburn very easily (I am very pale) and am quite fastidious with sunscreen.... all the time... and I am one of "those guys" who will purposefully wear long sleeves in the Summer and always a hat to give myself another layer of protection.  I had one pretty extensive sunburn as a kid, and learned to shy away from a lot of sun since that time.  When sunscreens first became available, I was overjoyed.... but still kept up the long sleeves and hat into perpetuity. The sunscreen, though helps me feel another layer of comfort.
  • I am feeling terribly wiped out.... physically and emotionally... but truth-be-told, I think most of it is emotional.  I feel I could sleep for days.  My TMJ is acting up, and my emotions vacillate through all different areas of sadness and frustration.  Some of it is about work.  Some of it is about the precancerous lesion removed on my wife.  Some of it the chronic, throbbing, annoying... dull ache in my jawline due to the TMJ... today it is my right side hinge that is irritated.  The dull ache from whatever the hell type of clenching and/or grinding I did with my teeth last night radiates up through my ear and down into my neck as well.  As I have finished my morning food, I decided I had better take two aspirin (I try to avoid this unless the throbbing is REALLY pronounced). This was perhaps an hour ago... no noticeable effect yet.     
  • My PCS is a 10 today.  I so very much would like the comfort of a pipe at the moment.  With a full rack of my favorite pipes in the pipe rack/humidor here on the shelf by my desk.... I keep glancing towards them.  I have been fussing with a few of my favorite pipes on the rack as well, and have already opened the top of the humidor canister that is filled with one of my favorite blends and smelled its aroma deeply.  I have even watched that silly snippet of video a few times today that I made in the latter part of the winter where I was pretending to smoke my pipe because my exhaled breath would show frosty and white in the cold air.  The image I have above, though not my own rack, looks a helluva lot like the one on  my desk here.  Some of my other racks/humidors are even more ornate.

 I guess that is all I have for today.

 PipeTobacco 

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Be kind to yourself, Professor! Prune away the fears and sadnesses, and realize that you are a blessing in the lives of many students, and many friends, as well as your family. You can't control what life throws at you, but you can choose to respond with graciousness and calm -- even silliness. That's true whether you choose to smoke the pipes in your rack, or whether you simply take comfort in your dreams and humorous videos. You know who you are. Relax into that knowledge, and don't let the stresses take their toll on you!

Friday, 14 May, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are stressed for sure. I think the college year has been a real grind, and now you have extra troubles heaped in top.

Saturday, 15 May, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

I hope you feel better soon. Madame Snark (at work) set up up for some bad feelings, and then came your concern for your wife and your own TMJ.

Sunday, 16 May, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

It's difficult to get through stress without some coping and calming measures. If pipe is #1, what would be #2, #3, etc.? Glad your wife is doing OK. Sunscreen is good. I always wear it on my face, but am not good at using it on my arms and legs.

Wednesday, 19 May, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home