The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Forgotten..... But Now Remembered


 

(PCS = 6)

I have mentioned a few of the different ways I listen to music lately.  This has actually been a good thing for me as it helped jar my memories about some of the other avenues I have used to listen to different forms of music in the past.  It reminded me of a really wonderful Internet station that was devoted to ONLY Wind Ensembles.... I looked for it today, and find it has sadly disappeared.  When I stopped listening to it a few years ago, it was having trouble and was (supposedly temporarily a the time) acquiring the online "space" it needed and was silent for a while.  But, sadly it looks like it is gone for good.  

But, the other location I had listened to quite frequently in the past but now rediscovered is the CBC Music Channel ! Actually, I have previously often listened to both the talk station and the music station.... as I tend to appreciate the nuanced Canadian perspectives in both news and in music selections they choose.  I am happily cyborging away with my work listening to some pleasantly different classical music selections on CBC Music at the moment.  

+ + +

It is again cold and rather rainy here today, but I pushed through this morning and ran 10 miles (~16.1 km).   I was soggy and wet when I finished... and not just from sweat. :)

+ + +

I cannot remember if I mentioned this already or not... but my community band has decided to regroup and will be working towards a Summer concert this year.  With Covid, things are difficult, but the plan is we are going to play and practice OUTSIDE in a parking lot and spread out to be very much socially distanced.  We would be (of course) required to be fully masked up until we are seated in our socially distanced spots and are ready to practice/play.  We will be similarly spread out in our eventual concert itself.  The director wrote to us and had each musician write back and respond to see if they would want to participate.  I can say that I have a bit of trepidation about it, but I am also very excited about potentially doing this.  I wrote back with a hesitant affirmative, and will see how the first few rehearsals feel to me safety-wise.  I am going to polish my bass clarinet in anticipation.  

+ + + 

I am trying to stay productive, although it is hard at times.  I am feeling in some ways like I am trying to swim through a vast ocean of molasses as far as productivity goes.  I have plenty of things TO DO, but even though I keep pecking away at things.... I know my heart is not in it as usual, because I am very slow and easily distracted.  But, I have to be doing "ok" because I have even started to do some work for my Summer class as well. 

+ + +

Hah!  There was just a beautiful, rumbly and deep, bass clarinet solo in part of the piece that was playing on CBC radio!

+ + +

It is rather odd recognizing how I will always be in some state of flux in regards to pipes and pipe tobaccos.  When I first gave up my pipes (hmmm... it is now about 38 months ago (3 years and two months)).... I naively expected there to be a slow, gradually declining slope line about the cravings I would have for them.  As I have come to figure out, it is more like a continually oscillating wave of desire.... sometimes it is low, but sometimes it is as strong as on day 1.  But, there really has never been a day that I can say I wouldn't immediately rejoin the beautiful hobby... if I could figure out a way to do so without worry and without a lot of work.  Being in the mid-range of my "pipe craving score" today perhaps is helpful for thinking more about a potential realistic way to return.  I will try to think more about this through the day.

+ + +

While running, I listened to the Capuchin Mass from yesterday and also a special service they have once a week that is the "Blessing of the Sick".  My two favorite Capuchins were presiders this time, which made them especially helpful.  Fr. Dan proclaimed Mass, and Fr. David presided over the afternoon "Blessing of the Sick".  While I try to learn a lot from all the Masses.... I do believe I am able to learn especially valuable insights in how to try to become a better, kinder person that I would like to be from both Fr. Dan and Fr. Dave.  

+ + +

Oh, this is a small comment back to AC.... it is interesting how you commented on the wine that was at the Parish Council Meeting.  It was a rather unique thing for me when I first began to experience this at the Parish when I joined after my wife and I married.  The parish where I grew up did not have that as part of functions.  But, what I came to realize is that the ways of my current parish reflect the social norms of the strong immigrant origins of my parish.  The particular Catholic Church my family belongs to is over 100 years old and was built initially by a very devout, extremely hard working immigrant population that was Eastern European in origin (mostly Polish).  Many of the families (probably just a little bit over 50% currently) still have very deep roots with Polish ancestry (including in my wife's side of the family).  And, I have come to realize and appreciate the very non-North American style view they have in regards to alcohol.  In most North American communities, alcohol consumption is distinctly separate and outside of most day-to-day actions/activities.  But in the Eastern European tradition, alcohol is just considered a typical portion of meals and sharing with families and friends... not really any different than sharing food, or breaking of bread is. I remember how "odd" it felt when I first was married and at this parish, but I have grown to really appreciate the more "food & sharing" approach that alcohol plays in this community.  

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you would make a good Canadian, and you aren't too far away, are you?

Meanwhile, drink up. :)

Thursday, 29 April, 2021  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

It is your paragraph about trying to stay productive that resonates with me. I too want to do lots but lack the enthusiasm, and just can't be bothered. Maybe there is a big area of heavy pressure hanging over the northern hemisphere weighing us down.

Friday, 30 April, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

I hope the community band works out for you. Our Senior Center plans to re-open and offer a few classes. The catch is: they will be outdoors. A line-dance class held outside in the summer's heat and humidity is not going to work for me, unfortunately.

Friday, 30 April, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

That community band sounds wonderful too!

Friday, 30 April, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

My other comment got eaten. It went something like this: Excellent perspective on the role of drinking in Eastern European cultures, which I saw in my own elderly Italian relatives. Their social traditions revolved around having a glass of wine, or two. It wasn't to get drunk or party, although a few times it turned into that. ;)

Friday, 30 April, 2021  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

volunteer

Sunday, 02 May, 2021  
Blogger E. Rosewater said...

i listened to the cbc streaming service for years but they changed the web site a few years ago and it's just not the same for me.

these days i just type "relaxing blues" into the youtube search bar and get great multi hour playlists.

Sunday, 02 May, 2021  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

We use to have a blues station here in Maine, but it went off the air after a couple of years.
Now I listen to Maine Public Radio Classical station when in the car. All music is good if you take the time to listen without bias.
the Ol'Buzzard

Tuesday, 04 May, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home