The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Bam


 

More bullet points for today (not enough cohesive thought available on my part to create paragraphs:

  • Ran 10 miles (~16km).  It was quite warm this morning (75 degrees (~24 C)) and very humid and clammy.  I thought of running in "Sasquatch" mode, but because I wanted to run on sidewalks, streets and through neighborhoods to keep me more entertained with a new view..... I thought it best to wear my shirt so as to not frighten folks.  When I was done and took the shirt off, it was fully soaked.... and there was so much moisture in it that I was able to wring out nearly two cups of sweaty water.  Also my running shorts were drenched and every bit of my skin (head to toe) was covered in sweat.
  • I made it home about 15 minutes ahead of a heavy downpour that appears to have dumped about 1.5 inches (~4cm) of rain in less than 15 minutes.  Then it cleared up. 
  • Work feels tedious today, and I do not seem to be accomplishing a helluva lot of value.  
  • I am hoping my wife and I can swim later today.  The pool has opened back up and even though it feels a bit nerve wracking.... I am so looking for the refreshment of the full body immersion into the cool water.  
  • I am not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but I have, while ruminating about research, thought of a new study that is pretty novel and easy and relatively inexpensive to set up.  I have ear marked this study for two of my new research students.  It is examining the effects of long term stress on reproduction, development and lifespan.  It should be a good project for the kids to work on.
  • PCS = 7 again today.  I am acutely feeling that gnawing itch in my mind about how wonderful it would be to gently saturate my neurons with the pleasures of the ignited burley leaf.  It has now been 41 months since I have indulged in a pipe, and I was imagining how beautiful it would be to indulge after this time away.  It would almost assuredly feel as blissfully magical and profound a way as it did when I first sampled a pipe as a young kid.  The idea of feeling that sheer intensity of the magic again is a significant draw in many ways.  
  • For fun and flavor today, I had a teaspoon of very dark molasses on my toast.  It was such a rich, beautiful flavor.    Molasses is underutilized as a flavor in my book.  I think there are so many more foods in which it could be an excellent enhancement.  I may have to start experimenting with some savory recipes that need a hint of sweetness.  
  • As I ran through the various neighborhoods today, it was garbage collection day and so with my runner's eye view, I was able to notice more intimately folks recyclables than I typically do when driving by.  There were a surprisingly larger number of wine and liquor bottles poking out of the top of many recycle bins than I would have imagined.  I feel like I must be a slacker..... since my father-in-law passed away 3.5 years ago, my minor weekly indulgence of a few drinks has gone basically to zero.  
 
PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just read a post from Scotland where, apparently, garbage is collected every third week. I can't imagine.

Tuesday, 13 July, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

I can't recycle glass which is annoying. I'm a beer drinker but rarely have any these days.

Tuesday, 13 July, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home