The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Patterns and Actions


 

 I just arrived at the U after having an early morning appointment with the dentist to examine my chompers.  My teeth and gums were considered very strong and healthy and the hygenist complemented me on how well I brush and floss, suggesting there was very little that she had to do.  However, I did have a filling that had worn through just a bit, and the dentist proceeded to numb and fix the worn filling as well.  Both he and the hygenist also complemented me on how well I maintain my teeth and gums, especially with the notoriously strong Temporomandibular Joint Disorder  (TMJ) I express.  They both said that for how significant my TMJ is, I do not show any of the common maladies of the condition.  I told them I attributed that to my very faithful and consistent wearing of my bite splint.  I mentioned how over the course of the many decades I had this condition that I have chewed through several of these bite splints.  

An interesting (to me anyhow) story related to my dental visit:

Some of you may recall that perhaps about 15 or so years ago, when I had to switch dentists because my prior dentist retired, I began a "ritual" of NOT SMOKING MY PIPE at the point I went to bed the evening before an appointment UNTIL after completing the dental appointment the next day.  I started doing this because the newbie dentist would always start talking to me about the dangers of pipe smoking, etc and it would also try to convince me that I also needed teeth whitening, etc.  He was annoying on a number of levels and when my wife and any of my kids developed a cavity or two or three or more, he would want to schedule an individual appointment for EACH cavity. I have not had a new cavity develop since I was ~15 year old. 

But, that was a bit off track..... again, I had this "ritual" of NOT SMOKING MY PIPE at the point I went to bed the evening before an appointment UNTIL after completing the dental appointment the next day to avoid his yammering negatively at me about it.  But over the years, it became almost "fun" to look forward to having that first pipe AFTER I would get back in my truck and head towards the U.  It always felt "EXTRA" enjoyable after getting through the dental appointment.  

My current dentist is a different fellow than the annoying one mentioned above (the one mentioned above retired too).  This fellow is a lot nicer.  Now, though, it was interesting to me and a bit poignant that as I walked out of the dentist this morning, I absent-mindedly was reaching into the pocket of my sport coat and was rummaging around for my pipe and my pouch (which of course were not there).  But, my MINDSET was still actively engaged in the IDEA of that "ritual" of having a pipe immediately upon completion of the dental visit.  It made me feel a little melancholy as I remembered how enjoyable that "after-dental bowlful" of pipe tobacco would be.  

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My previous dentist was pretty much a one-filling guy, but he was very sincere about his job. SIncere will have to do, but it is not really the word that I am looking for in my older brain.

Tuesday, 12 April, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

My grandfather was my dentist during my childhood and I got lectured/yelled at constantly for not flossing. My current dentis would prefer that I floss but doesn't get dramatic about it. Glad that your teeth and gums are in great shape!

Tuesday, 12 April, 2022  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

that reminds me I need to make an apt to get my teeth cleaned.

Wednesday, 13 April, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home