The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Trying to Do the Right Things


Even though my emotions are still roiling all over the place from moment to moment, and even with the range of stresses I am still being buffeted by, I am trying to force myself out of the things I am experiencing and feeling.... and force myself to do what I SHOULD be doing, what I SHOULD strive to do to work to be a kinder, gentler, more thoughtful person and a servant to others.  If I can work to capture those emotions of feeling like I am doing a good job, then that can ameliorate some aspects of the other hardships.  I do not feel up to writing about the harsh emotions I felt during the last few weeks today.  I am, for the moment, just trying to live in the "now" of feeling rather "average."

I have also FINALLY, forced myself to write and submit an abstract for a research presentation at one of the national meetings I often attend.  It is being held in Atlanta in July of this year.  It will be the first travel meeting I attend since the start of Covid (It is also the first of the research societies I attend that is HAVING a face-to-face meeting instead of virtual.... although many others are planning their meetings to be in person this year as well.).  I do have a fair amount of trepidation about what a) Covid may be like this Summer, and b) what air travel will be like.

I was at the indoor track this morning the moment I could get inside.  I was fortunate to have NO ONE ELSE on the track the whole time I ran my 10 miles, so I did not have to wear a mask.  On this track, 10 miles = 90 laps, and the running of circles can be rather tiresome.  But, for the first half, I listened to the Capuchin Daily Mass from yesterday, and for the second half I listened to my Catholic Music Radio on Pandora while I prayed the rosary.  I am thinking that by April 20th or so, it *should* be light enough outside..... early enough in the morning.... that I can begin running outside while still having enough time to get ready for heading to the U for work.  

I have been feeling a fair amount of rather disjointed thoughts about my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  Occasionally I am finding it to be "just a day" where I end up not thinking too often about my pipes and pipe tobaccos (only a few times during the day.... other than while falling asleep).  Other days, they are a continual thought in my mind during most of the day.  Although my memory of dreams I have at night STILL have not returned (to my chagrin), every night after I turn off the light from reading a bit, I allow my mind to conjure up a memory of smoking a particular pipe or pipe tobacco.  These thoughts and recollections help me to feel a sense of tranquility and I fall asleep with ease.  

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

chin up.

Wednesday, 06 April, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

Glad you're getting your exercise in! Track running makes me dizzy. Graduating from harsh emotions to average is a step in the right direction.

Wednesday, 06 April, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This just struck me. About you in general more that this post. I have heard about Catholic guilt. Do you suffer from it? Do you really enjoy listening to masses, or do you do it because?

Wednesday, 06 April, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

If one strive for something he/she on great track.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Wednesday, 06 April, 2022  
Blogger GaP said...

Happy to see you rebooting yourself a bit, Professor. You have a lot on your plate..

Thursday, 07 April, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home