The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, May 04, 2022

The Damn Bear

It was a surprise to me, as I did not think there WERE any BEARS in my neck of the woods, as it was too urban an environment. But, lo-and-behold, there he was.

Of course, I had a surge in the "Fight-or-Flight" hormones of epinephrine and norepinephrine in my body at seeing the massive brown bear.  But, dammit, I had been feeling rather "pushed around" enough by life lately, that I  thought in the back of my mind.... NO... NO MORE!  This time..... this time.... I am going to STAND MY GROUND!

The bear approached me rather quickly, and gave me a rather surprisingly powerful right jab that hit me across the cheek and rattled my eye in its socket a bit.  I admit... it hurt.... a helluva lot.  But, that just riled me up more.  

I took a broad stance with my legs and put up my fists, and POW!.... gave the damnable bear a good right hook!  Then, I regained my footing and threw a powerful left fist into his snout,  and then I rounded it up with another massive right hook to the side of his head!

I swear.... at the end of all that, the bear looked a helluva lot worse for wear than I did!!!!!

.

.

.

.

😄

Ok, now onto the more mundane, actual aspects of life....

I ended up tripping on some broken up sidewalk Tuesday morning just about as I was starting mile 9, and took a tumble.  I didn't break my fall very well, nor roll as well as I have done in the past, and my cheek hit the pavement (along with my shoulder, knees, etc).  My cheek split open a bit and I spent the morning in the emergency room getting stitched up.

Everything though, is on the mend.  I have one helluva black eye, though, besides my stitches.  One of the emergency room doctors gave me a "complement" of sorts when he told me he was glad I hadn't hit a bit lower on my face, otherwise he would have had to trim my beard on that side to do the stitching, and that would have “…been a real shame to have to trim it.”

I went home and rested a bit, and did some further grading.

And now, I tried to follow the old, cowboy adage today:

"When you fall off your horse, you have to get back on to ride."

So, this morning, even though I was more than a little bit stiff and sore, I got up at the usual time, and I ran 11.2 miles ( ~18km) so I wouldn't be "spooked" about my fall.... and to stay on track for the week.

My stitches will be removed in a few days.  They are in the same location as on the pirate in the above image, but on the left side.  Too bad it isn't Halloween, I could have used my stitches to enhance my pirate costume at a party.  

PipeTobacco 

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Wow! With the bear story, for a moment I thought you were remembering a dream!

Do you teach any Summer Session courses, Professor, or will you soon have a couple of months of more relaxed daily schedule?

Wednesday, 04 May, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

Yikes, these falls. This sounds like the worst one yet. Glad you are mending!

Wednesday, 04 May, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

You told everyone it was the bear wot did it I assume!

Saturday, 07 May, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home