The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Yadda

Tuesdays are my especially long teaching day, so I am fairly bushed at the moment from yammering through all my classes.  One class had an exam, though, so that gave me a bit of a rest for my voice. 

  • Ran 10 miles this morning (~16km).  
  • It was -4 degrees this morning (~ -20 C).  Our first cold snap of this rather different winter.  We normally would be having temperatures all January typically in this range and often into February too.  But, early in January we had a VERY UNUSUAL warm couple of days (~40 degrees (~ 4.5 C)) that also had HEAVY RAIN that melted all our snow.  It was only this past weekend that we had a normal snowstorm again (~ 7-8 inches (~ 17-20 cm)) that made our landscape white again.  Then the cold snap settled in.  
  • Some impending challenges with the situation I no longer discuss here have kept both me and my wife a bit on edge.
  • PCS ..... I did  not post them (or post anything) during the week while I was away.  Yet, I wrote the PCS scores down while I was not feeling well, and it fluctuated:  
    • Friday evening at the start of the illness = 2
    • Saturday = 0
    • Sunday = 1
    • Monday = 1
    • Tuesday = 3
    • Wednesday = 5
    • Thursday = 7
    • Friday = 7
    • Saturday = 6
    • Sunday = 8
    • From the above, I can see that during the days I felt the worst, my PCS was almost absent.
  • PCS for yesterday = 7
  • PCS for today = 8.  I was daydreaming about pipes while the students were taking their exam in my one class today.  A student came up to ask me about one of the questions on the exam, and because I was lost in thought, she actually nudged me a bit to get my attention.  I felt a bit foolish, but it was what it was.  
  • I feel rather famished today, even though I ate all my food.  I did not mention much about this, but during the Holiday Season, I gained ~5 pounds (~2.25 kg) which seems pretty typical for me during the last several years.  With my lack of eating during a few days when I was feeling especially under the weather, I lost some of that accumulated gain, and when I weighed myself last Sunday, I am now am only ~1 pound ( ~ 1/2 kg) above where I was prior to Thanksgiving.  That little bit of variance can happen easily week-to-week regardless, so I am basically back to my steady state weight of ~163 pounds (~74 kg, ~11.5 stone).  This gives me a BMI of 22.1, right damn in the center of the range of normal BMI.  That is good.

So, today is just a list of "stuff".  Hopefully, since I feel rather up-to-snuff again, I can get more expository types of writing up again in the next few days.  I have a lot of things I have been wanting to get down onto this electronic paper.  Some examples off the top of my head:

  • a pop (soda) adventure I had
  • a story about a play seen
  • my finishing my writing about my Chicago trip
  • a funny band story
  • a "pipedream" of something I would really like to do musically
  • a discussion of an interesting science article I recently read
  • and many more.
PipeTobacco


 

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I don't want to get sick but losing a few pounds would be nice! Sorry about your situation with the family member; I can relate.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Welcome back.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Tuesday, 31 January, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We also had that early January weather, but then it changed much earlier than for you, and we’ve had quite a lot of snow.

Wednesday, 01 February, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I put on more than that and I'm struggling to lose it. Lots of interesting posts in the pipeline then?

Thursday, 02 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home