The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 20, 2023

Array

 

The technical definition of an array is "a collection of similar data elements stored at contiguous memory locations. It is the simplest data structure where each data element can be accessed directly by only using its index number."

That sounds too "mathy" and too "statsy" to my liking.  I much prefer the broader definition of an array being  an arrangement of objects, pictures, or numbers in rows and columns

Remember last week that I spoke of my "disdain" (perhaps too gentle a word) for Excel?  A major "disdain" for me with Excel is related to MY concept of arrays versus ITS damnable concepts of arrays.  I mostly use Excel when organizing research data into forms that can be converted into a variety of types of graphs.  Even though Excel has a definte mind of its own on how it wants and does things.... for my most common types of research data, I have evolved into a bittersweet, grudging relationship with the damn program and I can typically figure out how to wrap my brain around the damn programs sense of array logic (which still to my own internal array logic seems convoluted and "*ss-backwards" to boot.) 

 BUT... when other folks send me Excel files and want me to manipulate things (like for the scientific meeting I am Chair at) that are huge amounts of text in those damn little boxes.... Excel is even more frustrating because I have to a) reason through what Excel has as its mindset, and b) try to figure out the person's mindset who created the damnable file.  

And guess what?!!!!!   The U's Athletic Office has decided to double dip in annoyances.  By some law/legislation that I forget how it arose, student athletes have to be "monitored" in terms of their grades and "success" and "needs" at a couple of points across the semester.  I have had to do this for at least the last 15 years if not longer.  I have to do this for each and every student athlete who is enrolled in one of my courses.   I have ~225 students this semester, and because the things I teach are frequently courses that are also popular with a lot of athletes, I typically have ~10% of my students fall into required monitoring.  This semester is no exception.  I actually have 23 student athletes this semester.   

But, those students are NOT the issue.  The U Athletic Office is the issue.  Previous to the last two-or-three semesters, the process was simple, they sent me forms with the students names, course (or occasionally courses) the student is enrolled in with me, and a checklist of successes, needs, and blank for their current grade in the course.  I could get the information for a student down onto one of those forms in ~1-2 minutes.  But two-or-three semesters ago, the U Athletic Office went "paperless" and had someone there devise an "electronic" submission system that INVOLVES the a) use of Excel, b) the of an array of drop down menu options for choices, each of which needs to be hand selected using a few keystrokes and mouse buttoning each, c) student names, student IDs, and course names and course numbers have to be typed in individually for EACH STUDENT, and d) the form has to be signed with an "electronic signature" process that is like pulling teeth.  

Needless to say, this process electronically takes a helluva lot longer.  I timed a couple the first semester I did this..... it was averaging ~10-12  minutes per student.  And, the old paper form is no longer available.  Best case scenario..... 10 minutes for 23 students would mean it would take me close to FOUR HOURS to complete, when before it would take me ~1/2 an hour using the paper version.  Needless to say, I had to try to do something.

My solution, since they want "paperless" was to take all the questions off the old paper form, and 

1.  Type these questions into my word processor program.  

2.  Type in the course names and numbers for all the courses I teach.

3.  I now use this document I created and simply have to a) type in the student's name/ID, and b) use my word processor's highlighter feature to highlight the specific "answers" I am choosing for a particular student.  I then have a document that is long because one page per student means this semester I will have a 23 page document..... and I save it and also create a .pdf copy.  Then....

4.   I attach a .pdf copy of this document to an e-mail I send to the Athletic Director at the U.  

Overall, this new method I employ takes a bit longer than the old paper way, but is still in the neighborhood of ~3-5 minutes only per student.  So, it is far superior to the damn online/Excell method we are supposed to use.   

I do not know how long I will be able to do these reports this way.  But, until I get told this way is invalid, I will continue to do these reports this way.  

* * * * * 

  • On this past Friday, I was very glad I had gotten ahead of miles a bit.  I only needed to run a scant 5 miles (~8km) to hit my weekly goal.  The storm had been intense, alternating layers of ice and snow occurred throughout Thursday night.  I am glad I did not have any Friday classes, and decided to work from home.  But, before I could do any work in my den.... I had to deal with the damn snow/ice.  
  • It took me ~2.5 hours to shovel out the driveway and the front and back porch area.  The alternating layers of ice and snow made the task very tiring.  
  • After the shoveling was done, I took a break of ~15 minutes, made myself a coffee (over ice, of course), and then changed out of my "snowmobile clothes" (a misnomer.... but we refer to the snow-pants and winter coat and hat combination as "snowmobile clothes" around this region) into running clothes, and backed out of the driveway and gingerly proceeded down the road and eventually reached the community indoor track.  I then ran a total of 5.5 miles (~9km).
  • PCS = 8.  I have been remembering more snippets of dreams the last few weeks.  Almost every one has had me featured with my pipe.  I especially liked the small snipped I recall from Friday night where I recall a small, few seconds of the dream where I was with my Dad, we were both just chatting and smoking our pipes outside on a nice, warm Summer evening.  

My lunch break officially needs to end, so I have to get back to work.  Still so much more to write, but I have to budget my time so that I stay afloat.  

PipeTobacco

(P.S.  I hope you "got" my word-play joke.  The image is "a ray".  :)   )

(P.P.S To Margaret.... I am not sure why my ink color changed to dark.  I am hoping this time it returns back to normal.  ) 

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh I missed your word play joke!
Bureaucracy seems to have increased for teachers everywhere from what I read.

Monday, 20 February, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I got the ray joke! I sometimes miss those things. Your whole post is the same light color this time so no issues reading it. As a retired teacher, I can't tell you how many times the district made a simple process into an agonizingly long and complicated one. Awful. Like we don't already have enough to do?

Monday, 20 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don’t imagine that they are happy with your workaround because then they have to input the numbers — at least I assume so. But as long as you can get away with it …

Tuesday, 21 February, 2023  
Blogger GaP said...

Why is it that "the system" always seems designed to make one's life more difficult? Possible answer: It's implemented to make SOMEONE'S life easier...just not yours. Find every workaround you can. Apparently, everyone else is...

Also, I like to believe that when we dream of loved ones who have passed, I like to think that they're dropping in for a visit. My father, dear friends, and even a cat we had to put down. Those dreams make me happy for most of the day afterward.

Tuesday, 21 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home