The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Travel to the Veterinarian


Brief post today because I had to schedule an appointment with my Veterinary for my beloved dog.  The issue has become rather urgent in the following fashion:

1.  Since the pandemic started, our Veterinarians (it is a team) have seen their number of patients (the animals) and clients (the parents of the pets) sky-rocket.  

2.  It is now such that if you want to schedule an appointment, it is going to end up being 4-6 weeks from the date you arrange to make the appointment.  It used to be that if you were to call for an appointment, it would usually be able to be set up in the same week. 

3.  Unfortunately, the Veterinarian's notification system (e-mail) for letting us know when routine work (vaccines, etc) are due HAS NOT been adjusted to fit this new reality for scheduling appointments.  

4.  About 6 weeks ago, I received notification of impending vaccinations my dog needed (routine like rabies, distemper, heartworm, etc).  

5.  But, as you may recall, my dog does not always do so well with shots/vaccines.  

6.  So, I tend to be very careful to arrange for her to receive the "booster" shots.... which are more mild and can occur if they are done on schedule.  But, after a certain point in time has passed, the more mild "booster" variety of the shots are not considered as viable options by our Veterinarians.... and they instead administer the "full-dose" variety of the shot.  

7.  Unfortunately, the "deadline" for receiving the more mild "booster" variety of shot is very, very, very close..... because when I called "way-back-when" it took this long to get a space.  

8.  With my dog being older, and her having a track record of not responding the best to shots, I want to try to make the result as easy on her as I can.  

So, that is why I am not able to type much today.  

*********

  • I forgot to mention yesterday that I ran 11 miles on Monday.
  • I ran 10.8 miles today.  I awoke later than I had planned, and had to hoof around as hard and fast as I could to get 10.8 miles (~17 km) in my allotted time.  I feel pretty damn sore right now because of the extra intensive effort..... that still failed to allow me to reach the 12 mile (~19 km) goal I had.  
  • We have a strong potential to have another even more significant Winter storm this coming Wednesday & Thursday.  Predictions are for a lot of ice & freezing rain for part of the time and up to 10 inches (~25 cm) of snow total in a 24 hour period.   I should PROBABLY be fine for running on Wednesday, but I am worried about how to get my miles in for THURSDAY.  The idea of trying to get in at least 20 miles (~32km) on Wednesday is not pleasant to try to think about even if I split it into two runs.  
  • PCS = no need to even put the number down, I think.  But, it is an "8".  I am stuck in a rut.  A rut of cravings.  
PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

That's a LOT of snow! We may get some tonight...or not. They can never predict it around here. Hope your dog does OK with the shots.

Wednesday, 22 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I notice that you tend not to name people and things. Your dog is your dog, and your wife is your wife. Come to think of it, you don’t name yourself either. It’s odd but ok. I am just noticing this. There was a time when I din’t either, but I did use use pseudonyms.

Wednesday, 22 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home