The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Ice Storm & Snow


 

After a few days of very pleasant temperatures and dry conditions, we are now in the midst of an ice storm and are predicted to additionally acquire ~8 inches (~20cm) of snow during the next 24 hours.  People arriving on campus are saying the roads are extremely icy and they were sliding all over the place.  I am a bit nervous now about heading home for the evening in a bit.  I am decent at driving in snow and ice.  But, it is never "relaxing" to do so.  Two or three beers at home might be in order upon successful arrival..... even though I doubt I will actually open even one bottle of beer, let alone three.  

Other than when I would have a drink or two with several pipes when I would visit my father-in-law so very long ago..... I rarely drink.  Here is an example:

In preparation of Holiday Festivities for Christmas 2019, I purchased 12 bottles of beer in case guests wanted to imbibe at Christmas dinner.  After New Years Day 2020.... there were 9 bottles of beer remaining from that purchase.  After New Years Day 2023 I still had 4 of those bottles left in the refrigerator.

 If the snow level we receive is as they suggest, I may try to work from home tomorrow.  With that much snow, I would have to spend time snow shoveling anyway.  Then I could work on my computer from my office.  That seems rather tempting.  

I DO have to worry about my running, however.  I only have a short 5 miles (8 km) left to run this week in order to accomplish my 50+ miles (~80+ km) for the week. I will have to see how to get it accomplished, somehow.  

  • I ran only 10.5 miles (~17km) this morning because I overslept a bit and arrived at the track later than I would have liked.  10.5 miles was all I could get under my belt before I HAD to leave to ensure I would get to the U on time for my extremely teaching intensive Thursday.
  • PCS = 7.  I have restarted the habit of carrying around one of my pipes in the interior breast pocket of my sport coats as I move about my day at the U.  It seems a bit akin to a "pacifier" of sorts, because it does feel comforting to me.  I will sometimes take it out and fiddle with it a bit.  I will pat my jacket with my palm and l like being able to feel its shape through my sport coat.  

Drinking a bit was FUN when I had a buddy to do so with.  Drinking a bit also was a beautiful enhancement for the already beyond exquisite pipe smoking I so miss.  Drinking without a buddy and without a pipe..... seems useless.  

PipeTobacco   

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Ick, I dislike heavy snow and am terrified of ice. Hope it isn't as dire as predicted. Next week we were supposed to get snow but it's now out of the forecast; we'll have bitter temperatures instead. Teens at night in Western Washington, very unusual! The last half of your post was very hard to read with the dark background and black print, by the way. I managed by enlarging it a lot on my laptop.

Thursday, 16 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We seem to be getting that weather today as storms track eastward. I imagine that I will stay inside unless it changes later on.

I may drink more than you; I can’t say that to very many people. I have a very occasional beer, but the last one had to be weeks ago. I probably haven’t had wine since before my surgery, which was 2+ weeks ago. I don’t exactly love alcohol.

Friday, 17 February, 2023  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

Icy roads and sidewalks are no fun. My legs are weak and balance terrible. I hope you are careful.
A bottle of Jameson will last me a long time unless I have some one to drink it with. In Ukraine Vodka was my go-to company drink as it was $5 for a litre of good stuff while imported whiskey was $40 for 750 ml

Sunday, 19 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home