The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Old Timey Video


 

My wife is continuing to do well!  She has swelling above her eye, but as of yet, no bruising.  I gently covered the abrasion with triple antibiotic ointment a few times last evening, and fortunately, this has helped the abrasion itself be relatively good looking as well and it seems smooth like there will be no scarring.  She feels sore, but all things considered, is doing very well!

  • I forced myself to get in 10 miles (~16 km) this morning even though I had limited time because of class.  So, I ended up awakening before dawn and wearing my headlamp for the start of the run.  I want to stay on track for my mileage goal for the week, so I do not have to have an extra long run during this very hectic time.
  • I am able to type a bit right now as I am proctoring a laboratory exam at the moment.  The room is filled with very nervous students at 30 different stations with microscopes, body parts (models), tissue samples, and diagrams and photographs.  They are tasked with answering 100 different questions across these 30 stations.  In order to keep the class moving along, they get only 2.5 minutes per station and then everyone has to get up and move to the next station in sequence for them.  I have a timer that has a loud, clanging alarm that goes off every 2.5 minutes.  The students are nervous.... but they should do fineā€¦.. if they studied properly.  :)
  • While trying to compile some of the end of the year documents yesterday, I had to dig around in some old files to try to find a copy of an old photograph I had somewhere of some lab equipment I had back a long, long time ago.  I had the help of our Library Staff back then.... in terms of converting a big bunch of old files photographs and videos onto the "new fangled" (back then) recordable  DVR disc.  Luckily, I still have one functional, external CD/DVR player that I can hook up to my computer by USB to play these discs.  The many DVR discs I have..... have files, photographs, documents, videos all in some rather haphazard "organization" (better word would be lack of organization) across decades.  On one of the discs I happened across a converted bit of footage from some VCR tapes and there I was...... me... sometime in perhaps my late 30s, I believe.  I was chunkier back then, but I also had very dark brown hair (other than my beard and mustache which were mostly brown but with a fair amount of red and black scattered about as well).  My beard and mustache were of the shorter style I wore for a helluva long time.  In the video I had been sitting and talking, and gesturing at some equipment in the room with the stem of my pipe.  I then put the stem back in my mouth, but the ember had gone out, so I had to relight my pipe before proceeding.  The movements, the gestures, the lighting of my pipe were all just so pleasantly normal and casual and pleasant to see.  Watching the video brought back a lot of memories.  I did eventually find the old photo I needed for the document as well.  It took quite a while.  
  • My wife is thinking she will be up for swimming later in the day.  I look forward to this enormously!!!!!

I have to probably call this post for today, as I need to get back to more "closely" monitoring the lab exam.  :)

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad your wife is improving and even anticipating a swim. You must be taking good care of her!

Tuesday, 20 June, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm relieved (and happy!) that your wife is doing so well and even up for a swim! The lab work sounds like a circuit training class I used to go; there were stations for various types of activities. It was fun but challenging. Those old photos do bring back memories and nostalgia, don't they?

Tuesday, 20 June, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope those students were well prepared. Otherwise, I would have difficulty functioning well if suddenly presented with information under time constraints.

Wednesday, 21 June, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home