The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Fan

Tuesday evening, excrement hit the fan so-to-speak with what should have been a SIMPLE and PLEASANT task with the one I do not write about here any longer. Since I do not talk about that here, instead I will focus on the aftermath:

  • I was so angry and hurt and sad, and my wife likewise, that the rest of the evening was a goner.  Neither of us had dinner before this incident, and so we ate.  But, for me at least, it was a very wrong decision.  I had no enjoyment of the food (which was typically a favorite), and afterwards I had the most intensive stomachache I think I have had in probably 20 years.  I went to bed in extreme discomfort. My wife came to bed far later, for I think her challenges with the situation kept her from being able to sleep.
  • The next morning we awoke, and both of us still felt quite awful emotionally.  We discussed and debated whether we should go on our day trip together, or if it was not worth the effort since we both felt so hurt and upset with the situation.   
  • I went and pounded out 10 damnable miles to get them done.  The Air Quality Index was especially bad yesterday again from the Canadian Forest Fires,so  that I had to run inside.  I was so angry and hurt that I ranted and cursed under my breath most of the time I was running.  Fortunately, the track was virtually empty, so I could do my quiet cursing without much concern about upsetting others.  By about mile 8, I was exhausted and sweaty enough that my anger had dissipated and all that was left was the hurt.  I turned on my headphones and listened to some Catholic Mass Music for the remaining two miles.  
  • When I got back home, my wife and I talked a bit, and debated what to do with the day.  We ultimately decided to continue with the day trip.  
  • Overall, the planned for, pleasant day trip with each other was NOT the fun and joy we had been gearing up for.  We were both somber.  But, it was helpful for us to be together, and it was helpful to not talk about the issues with the person I no longer talk about here. We had a light lunch along the route at a Sushi place we stumbled upon and I enjoyed some "salmon & apple" fresh spring rolls (these are the ones that are NOT fried, but are light and fresh with a glutenous wrapping that is translucent) and a ginger salad.  My wife had a cooked shrimp and broccoli dish.  Again, although the trip was not the fun and joy we had been planning.... it was very good for us to just be able to spend the day together.  

Yesterday evening was pretty somber back at home too.  But, with the bit of time and distance, my wife and I both felt more "comfortable" although it was still very sad.  We both slept a bit better last night.

  • I ran 10.2 miles (~16.5 km) this morning, and fortunately the air quality was decent so I could run outside.  That was nice.  I pounded out the miles this morning trying to pray the rosary and listening to Catholic Mass Music.  My mental focus was still not up-to-snuff, but it was improving from the day before.  
  • My wife and I are both working today.  We have plans to swim late this afternoon.
  • My wife has made a zucchini & chickpea crock pot dish that is new for us this evening that we will eat with rice.  She also has made a curried, cubed rutabaga dish using a rutabaga we harvested from our garden.... and this recipe is also new.  I am looking forward to trying them both this evening.  

That about covers it, I guess.

PipeTobacco   

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, while it is wise to refrain from sharing personal family details openly on your blog, I do hope you have both priestly and professional counsel available. Bottling up your hurt and anger only makes things worse for you, without resolving the conflicts with person-who-mustn't-be-named.

There was a time when your pipes could at least be a bit of a palliative. Without them, I think it's all the more important that you seek out a trusted priest-confidante, and perhaps also a counselor that your university may make available to faculty.

You can't live another person's life, and at some point you may need to let go and accept that you can't provide the guidance, influence, and help that you think your family member needs. That doesn't make you a bad person; it just may be the reality of the matter. But if you can't learn to let go, I hope you can at least lean on trusted counsel. Take care of yourself, Professor!

Thursday, 27 July, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I agree with Pat although I hope you refrain from blogging about the person because of privacy concerns and not because of a comment from that unfairly critical person a while back. I too have my struggles with kids and it does affect my sleep and enjoyment of life; I don't share many details on my blog but I've shared them privately in emails (with you I think?) and in coffee dates with friends. Please do reach out to others if you need to. xoxo

Thursday, 27 July, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Family troubles must be the most dispiriting troubles because we are so emotionally involved. Here's to a better day.

Friday, 28 July, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Since I retire, I plan to be a slow time each month for about 3 to 5 days.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Sunday, 30 July, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home