The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Again.... Bushed!

 I just finished my last big voice lecture for the week!  My voice is damn tired.  But I was able to maintain my enthusiasm and the vigor in my voice and in my actions through all 5 hours! What else..... 

  • Ran a pleasant 10 miles (~16km) this morning!  Even though I truly struggled to roust myself from the bed this morning.... once I got to the track, it felt very good.  
  • I anticipate Thursdays will be a challenge in regard to getting out of bed for the next several weeks because on Wednesday my wife and I are involved in a Parish group that is learning new things about the Eucharist.  This class does not end until 9:00pm.... which makes for a late night considering we eat dinner after the class.... and even if we have damn near everything ready.... we usually do not sit down until about 9:30 due to travel, changing clothes (into pajamas) and pottying the dog, and getting little odds and ends of food finalized. 
  • Eating that late also means I am not actually TIRED at my usual, hoped for bedtime of 11:00pm, but will often stay up until midnight or even perhaps 1:00am before I feel appropriately "ready" for sleep.  

The later sleep time makes it pretty damn rough trying to roll out of bed at 5:00am in order to go run.  So, today, I ended up NOT getting out of bed until 5:45am... which made me arrive at the indoor track later as well.... throwing off my day a bit.  

* * * * * 

  • Guitar lesson #2 this evening.  The first one was fun, but my wife and I did not practice as much as we should have.  We are going to try to have a last minute "jam session" of practicing before we head to the lesson.  It is all VERY simple stuff at the moment for both my wife and I... but it is being taught in a rather different and meaningful way that is giving me a valuable, different perspective than I previously could glean from just reading instruction books on the guitar myself.  
  • We are thinking of perhaps going out for a simple dinner tonight so we will not have a bunch of food prep chores when we get home from the lesson.  A Sub Sandwich sounds really good to me.  If we do go to the locally owned Sub Shop.... I will likely get a turkey on a rye bun, with NO cheese, and as many and as much vegetation as I can convince the sandwich builder to insert between the two layers of bread.  I coax and cajole the fellows (who know me and my proclivities) into NOT being puny with the vegetation.  Lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, olives (black and green), onions, green peppers, spinach, arugula, mushrooms, banana peppers, artichokes, radish slices and any additional surprise vegetation they may have on hand.  I often, with just a hint of doleful cadence in my voice, ask them to please ADD more and more vegetation.  This usually IS successful and my sub will eventually become pleasantly chubby.   It will be topped with lots of ground pepper and a little bit of honey mustard.   We will see if my wife is in a sub mood or not.  She does not appreciate them as much as I do. 
  • One other "odd" thing about the Parish group yesterday.  We have only been there a relatively short while, and last night TWO people approached me during a break in our discussion, suggesting to me that I should consider training to be either a "Lay Minister" or a married "Deacon".  It is odd, for folks in this group barely know me.  But, I have been told this same thing a surprising number of times over the years at various parish, diocesan or regional Catholic functions of many sorts.... even from a few strangers I had never met before the day they suggested this.  It is just odd.  
PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

NO CHEESE? I would give up the bread just to get the cheese. :) It sounds like the guitar lessons have been positive (so far) and that you're settling well into your new parish. What a compliment to be recognized for your faith and leadership--that's what these people are seeing!

Thursday, 25 January, 2024  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I do very much like cheese, but I tend to avoid it when possible so as to not consume a lot of fat. I still get a bit nervous I am a few short bites from being almost 300lb again…. Even though I have been stable at ~165 for more than a decade.

Thursday, 25 January, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Such different habits. We eat at 6. Sue goes to bed by 9, so she doesn't like to eat later. Friends of ours often go to bed much earlier than that and then are up roaming half the night.

Friday, 26 January, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home