The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Orange Marmalade

I admit freely to being almost "Paddington-like" in my fondness for orange marmalade.  In my region, however, it is sadly NOT particularly popular.  The grocery stores in my neck of the woods MAY have one brand of orange marmalade, but even that it is rather sketchy much of the time.  It is EXTREMELY rare that a restaurant may have a packet, let alone a jar of orange marmalade.  The restaurants here universally have grape (yawn) and strawberry (similar yawn).  A (very) few "adventuresome" restaurants here have raspberry (pleasant) or occasionally apple "butter" (also pleasant).... but orange marmalade.... I think the last time I saw it at a restaurant in my locale.... was perhaps 5-6 years ago.  

This past Sunday, I casually spent a few minutes looking on-line a bit for some "fancier" orange marmalades.  There appear to be several brands I could potentially order.  When I get a bit more time and have seen the range of what could be ordered, I think I will order 2-3 jars to try them out.  But, last night, while falling asleep... and yes, I was imagining a beautiful memory of smoking a pipe..... that memory was of some Sir Walter Raleigh I was smoking in a simple Dr. Grabow pipe (dublin shaped) while I was an undergraduate and driving to a potential graduate school I was considering applying to.  That road trip was memorable and peaceful.  And, the Sir Walter Raleigh was just so damn pleasant that words cannot adequately describe how it enhanced this trip.  But, back to the relevant aspect...... last night, while falling asleep (and thinking about the pipe).... I also thought about my search for orange marmalade..... and I wondered to myself.... "I wonder if anyone makes a GRAPEFRUIT marmalade that I could purchase?!?!?"  

Since I find pure delight in grapefruit.... I thought that if such a marmalade exists, it would surely be a top favorite as well.  So, when I get back to perusing the orange marmalade.... I am going to sneak around a bit and see if there are grapefruit marmalades as well!  

PipeTobacco   

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I'm not an orange marmalade fan but I would eat anything over grape jelly. I eat my sister-in-law's homemade loganberry jam. Spoiled, I know! Now I'm off to see if there is grapefruit marmalade anywhere. (curious!)

Tuesday, 30 January, 2024  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I like orange marmalade but I don't like the bits! We usually have a jar of Three Fruit marmalade in the pantry. That's orange, lime and grapefruit.

Wednesday, 31 January, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Marmalade and grapefruit. You're a wild and crazy guy.

Wednesday, 31 January, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home