The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

The Group



So.... there were somewhere between 8-10 "old guys" in the lounge area of the Cigar Shop. 

"Old" is of course a relative term, because it is referential by impression, by countenance, and by one's own reference points.  In this case, the group was more of what I would says is a "comfortable" age range.... the fellows appeared to be from early to mid 60s through somewhere in the mid 80s with a ballpark figure of the median being somewhere in the mid-to-late 70s.  So, that was GOOD, and was what I was hoping for.  I fit in that way.  

Apparently a few of the guys were car enthusiasts as they were in a discussion of their vehicles, and the discussion was about three of the vehicles in particular... one fellow had 1963 Impala SS convertible (Chevrolet) and another was talking about some aspects of his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, and another was talking about his 1964 Corvette.  Luckily I know a fair amount about cars in the 50s-70s, so I was listening and following along.  Engine displacement talk was not my forte, however, as to me, it is rather outside of my knowledge and interest.  They were not too focused on engine specifics (happily) and instead were mostly talking about the rigmarole of getting "historical" status (and historical license plates) for their  vehicles and were talking more of how they drove their beasts to various local car "shows" and meet ups and even had occasionally used them in a town parade or two.  

Listening and nodding in agreement at some of the comments and smiling was what I was mostly doing as I took the cellophane wrapper off of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature cigar.  Even though I still felt nervous as it was my first time in the group, I worked diligently to try to put forth a casual, calmness.  A sort of "fake-it-till-you-make-it" plan that I have worked to do many times over the decades when I would be feeling like a fish out of water at various times. 

I reached for the cigar clippers I had brought from the counter, and worried a bit, but pushed forward... even though I had only used a clipper of this sort one time before (on that trip with my wife) and still felt quite novice and thinking I may mess up and it will tear, crimp, or otherwise mangle the cigar.  But, with careful measure, a slow and steady pressure, I was able to slice gently, and cleanly the cranial cap from the end of the cigar.  The edges of the cut zone were uniform, smooth, even and damn near picture perfect.  I was glad.  

I took the remnant "cap" from the cigar, and instead of putting it into the ashtray, I slid the small slice into my shirt pocket, with plans to add it to my "chimera" jar of odds and ends of various pipe tobaccos I had over the years.  This chimera jar would get the remnants of any pouch of pipe tobacco I had nearly finished, but the small amount remaining in the  pouch was of insufficient volume to fill the bowl of a pipe.  Over the decades, this chimera jar would grow full and I would often sample bowlfuls in my pipe to see what sort of concoction I had made.  Often it was quite delightful and the volume of the chimera jar would decline as I enjoyed my frugal, unique, multi-hued "blend" I had created.  Even though I have not sampled from the chimera jar since laying down my pipes 6.5 years ago, I still enjoy opening the jar and smelling its multi-faceted aroma.  

The talk was congenial and interesting.  I did not talk much, because I did not feel it was my place to "invade" and I tend to like to listen more anyway to get the "lay of the land".  A fellow asked me my name, and I told the group and they all said hello.  But, what struck me in a rather happy way was how I could characterize the group generally....... "Cliff Claivins".... which was EXACTLY what I had hoped to find.  

For those who may not recognize the name Cliff Clavin, he was a fictional character on the television show, "Cheers" (hence my reference in the previous post).  Cliff Clavin was a fellow who liked to talk, and talk he would do, for hours at the bar.  Some folks in the show and who watched the show would equate his character as being a bit annoying, but that IS NOT the manner in which I mean at all.  What I like and enjoy about the character of Cliff Clavin is that his character, while quite talkative, was not denigrating in what he talked about, was not in any real sense trying to practice "one-upsmanship" by what he was saying, was not acting, nor feeling "superior" in what he was talking about, and was not "demanding" attention while he talked.  The lack of those negatives, and simply talking about life is what I equate with a "Cliff Clavin" sort of fellow.  I think it is a pleasant and wonderful attribute since in academia there are a helluva lot of the other negative types of folks in department meetings and even in U social functions.  This had none of the academic wrangling's from folks I often get so tired of.  

I then peel the band from the cigar.  It is ornate and its foil aspects reflect light.  I also slide this band into my pocket.  I will probably tack it onto the bulletin board in my outer U office sometime.  Some folks in the cigar community leave the band on, while others remove it prior to indulging in the cigar.  In the group, it is an approximate 50-50 mix of choices on whether to indulge with the band on or off.

Another interesting aspect to the group was that all of the fellows except for one was bearded and mustached.  That helped me feel more as if I fitted in because no one had the "businessman" professional sort of look.  The look of the day was for about half, t-shirt and shorts, with some wearing camo pants and a t-shirt, or like myself, an older button-down plaid shirt and jeans.  And, ~75% were also wearing a hat (most common, a baseball hat of some sort, like I was also wearing).   

Using the butane lighter I had borrowed from the front counter (it is a common cigar style lighter) instead of the Zippo I had in my pocket, I wicked the flame gently around the perimeter of the distal foot of the cigar.  This is a helpful technique to do as it fosters a more full and EVEN lighting of the cigar when that next occurs because the tobacco leaf wrapper is often times a bit more "humid" than the internal leaf from the way cigars are stored.    

Jokes are being told, casual, calm conversation continues.  I then bring the cigar to my mouth and light the foot with the butane lighter.  Slowly and carefully I work to ensure the light is even and uniform.  I put down the lighter on the armrest of the leather chair I am sitting in.  

The tastes and flavors of the cigar ARE NOT the cornucopia of flavors from most any of my pipe tobaccos.  However, the flavors that are present are enjoyable.  The primary flavor I find is a mild cocoa flavor, and also a small hint of hazelnut, both nice.  The smoke is pleasantly creamy and has a nice, chalky texture as well.  Really, quite nice overall.

I ended up staying for ~ 2 hours.  While I did not talk a lot, I talked enough. I like the feeling of the quiet there, with just enjoyable, casual conversation.  By the time I left, about 1/2 the group had left as well, so I thought it was a good "midpoint" to leave as a newbie. I said my goodbyes and one of the fellows asked, "You coming back next week?"  I answered, "I sure plan to.  This was a great way to spend the afternoon!"

The experience was, quite surprising to me, almost exactly what I had hoped for and imagined in my mind.  I left feeling relaxed and tranquil.  I do look forward to going again.

PipeTobacco

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, that is a pretty fulsome description. I would never write like that, due to both interest and ability, I appreciated the post. However, from now on, I shall call you Norm.

Tuesday, 30 July, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

What a lovely experience, handled well by you! I hope you do go back and feel more comfortable each time you do.

Tuesday, 30 July, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home