The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Union Leader Pipe Tobacco


I have been still thinking a great deal about the surprise find of not only the canister of my Dad's Union Leader Pipe Tobacco, but especially about the fact that slightly less than ~1/4 of that pipe tobacco remained in this 1 pound tub that was from probably the mid-to-late 1960s.  

Again, my Dad did not particularly find Union Leader a favorite pipe tobacco of his.  This one, lone can is the ONLY can of the stuff I ever remember seeing growing up.  And, it was always buried deep, way back in the kitchen cupboard BEHIND the more MANY, more prominent and favored Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh 1 pound tubs that were in continual consumption and front-and-center in the cupboard.  

Therefore, this one can of Union Leader was a blend my Dad worked through very slowly and very sporadically over the course of probably 25 or more years or so before his passing a bit over 30 years ago. 

The Union Leader pipe tobacco that remains is now roughly ~60 years old.  But, when I gently pried off the lid, it smelled wonderful and "fresh" and in very good condition.  And the interior of the can was rather pristine too.  So, I am thinking it is still potentially viable.  It is also really fun that the price sticker is still attached to the lid.... the whole pound can was only $1.26 way back when it was purchased!!!!  

I am contemplating trying out a bowlful.

Potential positives:

1.  It was my Dad's pipe tobacco!  It could be such a wonderful experience to again have some of the pipe tobacco that was his (I would feel like a kid again, when I would surreptitiously "borrow" a bit of his PA or SWR as a youngster.).

2.  It is a pipe tobacco I had never tried before.  And, it long ago was discontinued (early 1980s from what I can gather) and this sample is far older, from its "heyday".  

Potential negatives:

1.  As it was NOT a favorite of my Dad's, perhaps I would not feel the same sense of nostalgia?

2.  Perhaps it is NOT really in as good of shape as it seems and could be no longer viable?

So, (as usual for many things it seems) I am unsure of my eventual path on this potential journey.  But, it was a tremendously exciting and unexpected find!  It has given me a great deal to think about and has stirred an abundant array of memories I had not recalled in a long, long time.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Perhaps a bowl of this pipe tobacco for a special occasion, related to your dad. It may not have been a favorite of your dad's, but it was still tied to him and memories of that time.

Wednesday, 16 September, 2026  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you should put it in your pipe and smoke it. 😉😇

Wednesday, 16 September, 2026  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home