The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 08, 2004




Between a Rock and a Hard Place and Another Rock



I am not sure what it is, but sometimes the females in my life do not seem to understand how much I try to keep them happy. I do not understand them worth a hill of beans and sometimes it makes me simply want to throw my hands into the air and give up.

As a professor, it is important for me to present my research at meetings, both regional and national. It is the only way I can stay current and in form for my job. Presenting these research findings involves travel. There is the rub. The various women in my life (wife, daughters, mother, mother-in-law) all seem bent on making my work as hard and as nerve wracking and as unenjoyable as possible. First, my wife is upset that she does not get to always travel with me to these damn conferences. Second, my daughters are unhappy if I leave home for any length of time... and an overnight trip is nearly the end of the world. My mother and mother-in-law both worry about whatever mode of transportation I happen to use, be it car, bus, train, or airplane.

To go to a conference used to be a pleasant time. It was a time of growth and learning for me and a time for a bit of a break from routine. Now the trips are simply torture and I have grown to despise them enormously. I do not know how I got myself into giving a talk at the conference I am supposed to attend this weekend, but I must have been awfully damn stupid to even consider going. My life has been hell for the last few days because of the reasons stated above and others from the women in my life.

Do I love them? Of course. But, what I do not understand is why their overwhelming emotions and needs and fears should have to dictate each and every action I take and why I should have to be treated this way. I am not asking for much, just simply to be given the chance to do MY JOB in the WAY I NEED TO DO IT. Why does every blasted thing have to go wrong and every female in my life become nearly histronic whenever a simple, two or three day trip comes up. Hell, its not like I have ever done them that all often.... usually two trips a year is my average. But, each and every single trip that has occurred related to my work has been a hardache and struggle and utterly, horribly, nasty and horrible.

It is unfair. It makes me angry and frustrated.

I think I have also figured out my answer about *if* I should go to deer camp this year.

I shall become more of an indentured servant and slave and never stray one iota from home again. I feel like an empty shell.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home