The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Operation Rice Bowl

Started by Catholic Relief Services in 1975, the concept of "Operation Rice Bowl" was to keep a small container (aka the rice bowl) in the home where a family would put the money saved from fasting for later donation to the hungry.

On this day, I renew my effort at almsgiving to help make the world a better place for us all. I need to be more aware of my place in this world. I need to find more and better ways of helping others.

* * * * *

I am fortunate tonight in that my wife and her mother wish to attend a girl's only social function. Because my mother-in-law worries about my father-in-law being alone for long periods of time at his age, I have been invited to spend the evening with him. I have just talked to him on the phone and asked him which liquor of choice he would like to consume this evening ("Wild Turkey, very nice!") and if he would like me to pick him up any new or different pipe tobacco for our festivities ("No, not necessary.").

Therefore, I should keep the post short today so I may go get a fifth of Wild Turkey before my wife is ready to go. It should be a damn fun evening!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home