The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Smearing of Blood

Today is the day of Passover. In ancient times Jewish people were instructed to slaughter a lamb and paint the transom above their doors with the animal's blood to keep them safe from slaughter of their first born son.

In this same vein, I believe I should adopt a symbol that will be my own indication of my hope and prayers for protection of my loved ones. Even though my research involves animal surgeries and I could access blood, I do not feel it is a necessary part of the symbol for me. Instead, for my own personal marking of passover, I shall afix a broad band of red tape to the transom of my door. In this way I symbolically embrace the notion of accepting that the safety of my family, those that I love is only to a very limited extent in my own hands.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home