The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, September 02, 2005

.
A Further Explination



Universal Soldier and G@P (I must remember to add both to my links sidebar when I next update them) both left very interesting comments on my blog about my previous post. I value their comments but fear I may not have been clear enough in my writing so that I gave them both a misrepresentation of what I meant. Therefore, I hope to clarify my idea below:

1. Universal Soldier, I too very much enjoy the interaction with people through the Internet... for exactly the same reason... it allows me to interact with people I would never likely be able to interact with in any other way.

2. I agree with you about the ease at which artists can display their music. But that was not the change I was refering to. The decline in the quality of music that is popular with socieity is not because of dilution.... dilution because of electronic gagetry was not possible during the late 1970s and 1980s.... periods where in my opinion, music was at its weakest. Again, do not get me wrong... there were and always are great musical artists in any decade.... what I am trying to say is that in the musical era prior to roughly 1975.... the BETTER QUALITY music (and hence the better quality musical art) was what WAS most popular with the masses. In the later 1970s and beyond, the HIGHER QUALITY artistic music was NOT what was popular to the masses.... instead, inane "talent" such as Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli, Cindy Lauper, Billy Ocean as well as countless others were at the FOREFRONT of what the majority of the populace listened to.

I think the dilution of what the populace listens to due to electronic gizmos such as iPods and the like will HELP the more artistic of the musicians get a voice and may also help break the stranglehold that the inane artists have had for nearly three decades.

3. Universal Soldier and G@P... I agree with both of you that there IS high quality music out there currently... and that there has been high quality music produced virtually each and every decade. I was simply lamenting the difficulty the HIGH QUALITY material has in reaching the pinnicle of the average person's ear. It seems in the 60s and early 70s that the best items were the most popular.

Thank you for your comments, and if I am ever fortunate enough to be in either of your necks of the woods, I would greatly enjoy having multiple pints and multiple pipes with both of you.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home