The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 15, 2005

.
The Fellow In the Hookah Coffeehouse

When I first arrived in town (remember I was attending a scientific conference to present new research data), I knew a major goal that evening was to locate the hookah coffeehouse. Having arrived at my hotel room roughly at 4pm, I quickly showered, shaved my neck and cheeks (to spruce up my beard and moustache... my talk was the next day) and put on my most comfortable khakis and mildly printed cotton, button down shirt and proceeded to hunt down the location of the hookah coffeehouse.

After roughly a 30 minute brisk walk (I went in a few directions I did not need to go), I found the establishment. The outside was a rather simple, non-descript store-front. It appeared much the same as countless store-fronts in countless college towns across America. However, in the awning above the window was a good quality small speaker (not the typical harsh, tinny sounding variety commonly used out-of-doors) through which a very gentle, soothing Indian sitar ballad played. I eagerly walked in.

The sites and sounds are beautiful and exotic. The music is a bit louder inside, but still appropriate for having discussions with others. The walls have a variety of paints and fabrics that are in vibrant oranges, reds, yellows, as well as turquoise and lavendar. The seating is quite variable. There are small, cafe-style tables with one, two, or three seats each, there are a few bench style seats, and there are several lounger chairs and four or five futons scattered around the room. Additionally, ornate pillows are scattered everywhere.

On this first day I sit at a small cafe table after placing my order for the hookah. I sat down next to a gentleman a few years older than myself (and remember, I am older than dirt). He had a darkly bronzed skin tone which contrasted dramatically with his vividly white moustache and beard... both kept roughly at about 1-1.5 inches in length. Interestingly, he wore a shaved head... but a full beard. He did not begin to shave his head until directly above the line where the bows of his eye glasses rested on his ear. The look was good on him, and he had a jovial, happy demeanor about him.

To be continued....

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home