The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, November 04, 2005

.
Prince Albert in a Can

A very strange set of circumstances has occurred with me over the last week or so, and I am at a loss on how to explain it. Because I was out of my beloved Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco, I went to the local grocer to purchase more. Sadly, my grocer was out of the leaf. I had three choices, 1) go to another grocer and purchase Sir Walter Raleigh.... I decided "no" to this option as the store I was at was THE most reliable in having Sir Walter Raleigh on hand... other stores were much more flaky in their stock, 2) go to the tobacco shop and purchase an alternative pipe tobacco.... I also decided "no" to this option as I was not in the mood for the longer drive, and also because I knew my elderly father-in-law was hoping to go with me the next time I went (and he was not available at the time), and 3) purchase one of the other pipe tobaccos my grocer had on hand. I chose option three and had a choice between only two different leaves. Normally, my grocer has four pipe tobaccos on hand.... Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Prince Albert, and Velvet. Unfortunately, he was out of both Sir Walter Raleigh and out of Granger (I actually enjoy Granger quite a bit and have substituted it in the past). So, my options were:

a) Prince Albert - an extremely bland, flavorless tobacco with very little, if any kick.

b) Velvet - an odd, "mushy" sort of leaf that I find frustrating as hell to keep lit and even after extensive drying, it is unpleasant.

Therefore, I purchased old Prince Albert. I have been smoking it most of the week and I must say I have grown accustomed to it. It IS bland and has very little flavor and no kick in the head that I can discern. But is has one property that IS pleasant and I have enjoyed this week. It is very easy to keep lit, and it produces very copious quantities of dense smoke that is very white in color. Although the smoke does not give you a pleasant kick, it is plesant to inhale and feels good in the chest.

So, by necessity, I have found enjoyment in old Prince Albert, although I am thinking I am going to pick up my elderly father-in-law and go to the tobacco shop for something more powerful and then perhaps we will pick up a bottle of something good on the way home and make an afternoon of it.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home