The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

.
A New Technique

It has been an exciting morning thus far. I have gone "out of the box" so-to-speak, as the young people and Dr. Phil fans like to spout. My rodent research currently is in a form that is rather slow and time consuming. What I mean by this is that the research requires a type of data collection that needs several months of "melding and fermentation" prior to collection. That said, the animals need only minor care each day, and so I have extra research time on my hands.

With this extra time, I have been spending it thus far, in my back-back office, pipe in hand, back to the window (for natural lighting) and nose deep in a variety of books. One of the books I have read, sparked my renewed interest in a small beast called Planaria. These are very small flatworms that are very interesting for their regeneration of neural tissue. A few weeks ago, I went out and collected a few hundred of these beasts in a local stream and began to observe them (under the microscope... each beast is roughly 3-4mm in length).

What I have perhaps discovered is a new experimental technique that may allow me to conduct a whole new, rapid turnover, set of experiments using a technique that is novel and new.

I shall know more in a few days as I watch how this series of events unfolds. Keep your fingers crossed! I will give more details as they are warrented.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home