The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 03, 2006

.
Grey Skies, Grey Mood


Grey is usually a color I find attractive:

a) my wife's silvery hair still easily gets my loins feeling passion,
b) the beauty of the grey/beige color of my den, with its dark wood trim is very comforting,
c) the beauty of the grey washed out wood of the old barn down the road from me with the faded Mail Pouch chewing tobacco sign has an artistic beauty,
and
d) even my furry face, the salt-and-pepper of my beard and moustache seems somehow dashing and pleasant enough to look at each morning.

However, the beautiful warmth of this past weekend (high temperatures at one point reaching 51 degrees!) was unfortunately accompanied most of the weekend with the most dismal, suffocatingly dense, grey skies around. On Saturday morning we did have a few brief moments of sun and blue skies, but other than that the density of the grey was oppressive. It felt as if we were all being covered by the banting of an unfinished quilt.... nothing could penetrate the heavy grey that enveloped us. Even on Sunday, with the wonderful start of Daylight Savings Time, we did not really get to experience much of the joy of the additional hour, because the heavy layer of grey made even noon feel akin to dusk.

It is odd, I am not usually that unhappy with grey skies. However, this weekend, even I found them excessive and dreary. I wonder why?

Oh, by the way, it is now snowing outside my window [sigh].

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home