The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

.
The Flood Continues

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was the newest fad on campus. I had 16 different students show up at my office today. Again, I enjoy helping them, and being a support... but hell... 16 of them, plus teaching a two hour lecture, and teaching a three hour laboratory? I am bushed.

I am seriously thinking of swapping the computers between my outer office (the one with the window into the hallway (which means students know when I am in there) and my back office (the smaller one, behind my research lab... no one knows when I am in there. My outer office computer is newer (perhaps 8 months old) whereas the one in my back office is roughly 4.5 years old. I would be able to spend more time in the back office working on grants and writing, and not be constantly visited by an unending stream of students.

Please do not get me wrong.... I truly find pleasure in working with students, but hell, I never see 16 different students visit any other biology faculty member in a whole semester let alone in one day! And, there are 18 of us professors in the department! And if I stay in the outer office, that is all I ever seem able to do. No grants, no journal articles, no research. I think I need to do the switch, and then stay for very limited hours in my outer office each day. The added benefit is of course that I can smoke my pipe in my back office.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home