The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

.
A Wonderful Day

I am not sure what caused it, be it the new vanilla-tinctured burley in my pipe, the 4th cup of hazlenut coffee I have drank, the actual sunshine that I can feel on my face and beard as I sit before my office window (sun is a pretty damn rare commodity in these parts), or simply the realization that we are close to the end of the semester, but most all of the thoughts I have had outside of lecturing have been focused on ideas of new research I want to start this spring and summer.

All sorts of beautiful possibilities exist for my new strand of research this summer. Of course, as always the research will have a close tie to endocrinology, neurobiology and physiology, but the actual model system and the goals and objectives are yet still aloft in the jungle of ideas in my mind. It is a wonderful feeling to explore those ideas, feeling the thoughts emerge, develop and compete with each other for prominence and a shot at being the research I will focus upon. For those of you students of mine who may be reading this (instead of studying I may add), I suspect it is akin to the pleasure you obtain watching the "American Idol" television show and seeing the drama unfold as each week passes and more and more good singers (aka ideas in my thought process) fall by the wayside.

Beautiful, simply beautiful!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home