The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 10, 2006

.
Meanderings

Thank you, all of you who wrote concerning the passing of my family pet. He was truly a gift to us and the loss my family is feeling is still very heavy. But as in all aspects of life, each day, the hardship grows more bearable, and we grow in ways to accomodate that new burden.

Today has been a day of rather limited focus. I strived to get a great deal of work done, and only had 5-6 students stop by. However, I spent much of my day in idle daydreams and meanderings that can easily envelope a whole day.

For some reason, one of the thoughts I had waft in and out of my conciousness all day was based upon a old advertisement for cigars entitled Habanas Quality Cigars by Steve Forney. In my manner of belief and philosophy of life, his image captures just the perfect image of the cigar. Beholden in a dashing fashion in a white gloved hand, this image all at once brings to mind gentlemen in the late 1800s who would wear stiff, black suits with tails and top hats, white gloves and would carry around pocket watches with chains attached to fobs. To me this is the primary positive image I have of the cigar and this advertisment art work is a perfect image to recall those ideas for me.

As everyone knows, I am primairly a pipe smoker (probably 95% of the time these days), but I will typically have one or two cigars a week. Unfortunately, I never feel so gussied up as the above image suggests I should. My normal garb of wool or corduroy jackets and kakhis is much more befitting the image of the pipe, so it is good that the briar pipe is my primary medium.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home