The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

.
Am I Condescending?

Over the past two months or so, two different people have suggested I am condescending. One situation was said by a very good Internet friend of mine when I modeled an aspect of my blog after his in a way I thought fun. His feelings of my being condescending took me off-guard and I apologized and removed the offending part of my blog. The second time was more recent... yesterday in fact, where a new Internet friend and commenter suggested I had a condescending attitude toward my students. This again caught me off guard for I did not mean my essay in a condescending manner.

Therefore, my question to those of you who have read my writings often, do I give off the impression of being a condescending person through my writing? If you feel "yes" I do act in a condescending manner, please elaborate on why you feel so, in order that I may learn from the examples how to modify my behavior. And for those who answer "no" I am NOT condescending, I sure as hell hope you will also elaborate on why YOU feel I am not... because I will need some moral support.

I am hopeful this will prove an interesting exercise, and if it is indeed the case that I am perceived in this negative manner by many, I DO hope to modify my behavior in such a way so as to not give off that impression.

I do not see myself as a condescending person... and I would like to fix that impression if I do project that.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home