The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

.
Anger Management

I am now in the phase that I call "anger management". I am feeling annoyed, angry, frustrated, and generally p*ss*d off about pretty much everything that deals with life. It typically happens after I try to pull myself up by the bootstraps and make life go back to normal. The feeling happens typically because that is a helluva lot harder and more difficult than you might understand or realize.

The crux of the issue at the moment is that my elderly mother is having a difficult time getting to the point of being able to take and do her normal daily routines by herself. I have drawn lists, checked and rechecked her medications, guided her to eat and take her breathing treatments. It is frustrating and exhausting. I have been up since 7am working on this... coaxing her to do it herself, making checklists for her to follow, waiting while she figures out the lists, waiting while she decides what the lists mean, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, and guess what more waiting. It has me on edge like you would not believe. It is now 10:45 and I have accomplished the following:

1. Got mom out of bed.
2. Got mom to take her glucose reading.
3. Got mom to decide what to do next from her glucose reading (eat a snack).
4. Got mom to eat a snack.
5. Got mom to do her breathing treatment.
6. Got mom to recheck her blood glucose.
7. Got mom to take her morning medicines.
8. Got mom to eat breakfast.

These activities should take at most 45 minutes!!!!!!!! Not nearly 4 hours!. I sometimes do not know what to do anymore. Hopefully the next phase will start soon... where she tends to follow the proceedures, I fall into a very brief, false sense of normalcy and then a few days later, the whole damn cycle starts again... either with my mother or with my wife getting pneumonia, etc.

So.... hurry up...... I need those very brief days (two or three) where I am falsely able to assume that there will be a period of normalcy. I desperately need them now.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home