The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

.
Not Much

Not much new to report. It is now in my mother's hands. Things seem to be under control medically, but after roughly 4 weeks of hospital visits, my mother is so weak. She must do three things for herself to get to come home:

1. She must eat and drink. She has been refusing food and drink for so much of the stay that she has averaged only around 200 calories a day. I have tried to cajole, demand, and convince her to eat and drink. I am not sure if she will.

2. She must use and practice with her inspirometer. Four weeks ago, she was at a rather poor 1000cc. I was trying to get her to practice regularly to get up to a goal of 2500cc. Yesterday she could only attain 500cc. Today she only could get 300cc.

3. She must move her arms and legs and move in the bed. She currently does not move other than when forced to by the physical therapist. She must move all day long, at least her arms and her legs in the bed.

I cannot force her to do this. I have tried my best to convince her. It is in her court now. If she did the above three, she would get well quickly. If she does not do them, she will not get well and will die. I cannot control it. Only she can.

I do not know what she will do. I suspect and am fearful she will not try.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home