The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

.
Sans Pipe

To observe this Lenten Season.... in order to strive to become a better person... a person who is accepting of life... a person who really tries to make things better... I have decided to attempt something truly radical for me:

I am going to (at least temporairily) give up my pipe. I am not doing this because of any health issue, nor am I doing this because of the political nonsense and anti-tobacco rhetoric. I am going to give up my pipe because Lent is a time of atonement, and for me, atonement is to be reached for through sacrifice.

To give up something I so love, something I so cherish, as my pipe is a real effort by me to keep my focus where it should be, where it must be... to help others, to be of assistance.

Although I will miss my pipe, it was the only thing I truly love that I could think of to part with. I cannot part with the people whom I love, nor can I part with the pets I also love. My beloved pipe may be the only non-living thing I love... it is the only non-living thing that comes to mind.

So, wish me well on this journey, a journey that will give me spiritual and emotional enlightenment and peace. I sincerely hope that I succeed in growing more aware both spiritually and emotionally for I must determine how to continue to live my life as it is and yet bring joy, happiness and contentment back as well.

This is my Lenten plan. I hope to succeed in growing. The loss of my beloved pipe, although cherished in every way, will hopefully pale in comparison to what I gain and will hence be able to give others.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home