The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

.
100 Hours Plus

It has now been over 100 hours since I have severed ties with my mistresses, my beloved briar pipes. While I do miss their charms and flavors, the only difficult time is still when I go to take a drive of any length in my car or truck. At those moments, I feel the lack of their presence a bit acutely.

Yet, my effort in this matter is miniscule compared to what Lent is about. I should do more, I should work harder, I should help more, and the list goes on.

But, for me, this effort of laying down my pipes, is a true effort by me to show my resolve, my desire, my belief in trying to make my life, my family's life, my community, my city, the country and the world a better place. I need to use this effort to show I am not horrid, nor weak, nor without spirit and passion. I want there to be value to my having been here. I would like people to know and realize now and long after I am dead and buried, that I strove to make things better than I found them.

* * * * *

My mother's weight is going down SLOWLY. It would be more reassuring if it would have dropped substantially, but at least it is heading in the right direction at the moment.

* * * * *

While driving today, I spotted an odd but TYPICALLY odd site for my region and location. Two pair of young college students were riding around town in their Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (the New Beetle, not the classic) with the top DOWN. I know we have had three days above FREEZING, but that still does not classify it as balmy enough for a convertible with the top down. Such is youth, however. I have students in my class arrive in shorts in this same weather. The Beetle made me smile.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home