The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

.
Nitrous Oxide

A disjointed collection of thoughts for today:

I just received a postcard in the mail reminding me of an appointment for my summer teeth cleaning at the dentist and it caused me to think about nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is the gas used at dental offices, more commonly referred to as "laughing gas". I am not sure if dentists use this anesthesia anymore or not. I remember having a chance to sample a bit once at the dentist as a youngster and I found it funny, the loopy feeling it gave me. If anyone in my readership knows if it is still being used, please let me know. Otherwise, I will have to ask my dentist next week.

"Hell's Kitchen" is a rather obnoxious, but captivating reality show that is on FOX on Monday's and my wife and I have been enjoying its mixture of repulsiveness and aggravation. It is a show designed to find the "chef" to run a million dollar restaurant. It is definitely a "low brow" affair. We also watch another cooking reality show that begins again this Wednesday that is called "Top Chef". The two shows are polar opposites to each other. "Top Chef" feels educational and creative, whereas "Hell's Kitchen" is akin to getting hit over the head with a frying pan. Both, however, are captivating viewing.

By shear will, I once again FORCED myself to go on my 4 mile walk for exercise this morning. As before, I felt very good after completing it, but no matter how good I do feel after, I still feel grouchy and unwilling to begin. My hope is that by determination and damned cussedness at myself, I will again find it valuable enough that eventually I will be eager to walk each day.

I am not sure, yet, how I will proceed with my graduate class this evening. I suppose it will simply unfold in some collective manner.

It has been amazing weather here the last several days. Very atypical for our region. It has been dry, with highs during the day in the upper 70s to low 80s and nights in the upper 50s. From my understanding this is similar to the typical weather experienced along costal regions of California. If this is true, I can understand why California is an especially pricey real estate market. Our more normal weather is either hot, humid days and in the 80s and evenings in the upper 70s or cold, wet days with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s.

What is your favorite color? I vacillate between two. My two favorite colors are yellow and orange. A "personality profile" site suggests that because yellow is a favorite color, I have the following characteristics:

YELLOW
You are an original and powerful thinker, capable of overcoming great obstacles.
You are easy-going and enjoy the finer things in life. You have an eye for art.
You are calm and relaxed and you try not to "rock the boat".
Searching for new ideas, methods and styles, you can be very productive when focused on a course of action.


Surprisingly, this does seem to fit... although I suspect that each and every color has some pleasant and grandiose comments for the chooser.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home