The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

.
Printer Ink

I remember using typewriters for damn near everything. Even though it was not common for males to take a course in typing, I did take one for a single semester while in junior high school simply because I wanted to learn. It was perhaps the most valuable elective course I ever took.

The modicum of skill I learned in typing on heavy, cumbersome, stiff as hell old manual typewriters that weighed roughly 30 pounds a piece has served me inordinately well. In high school, I could get papers done at a very rapid rate, in college, as papers grew in depth and length, I could type and edit my work at my own pace, without having to hire or date a girl who could type for me. Same in graduate school. I typed everything, other than the final copy of my dissertation that was bound and sent to a publisher. That document I hired a professional typist.

Even as a Professor who has his own secretary, I still do a great deal of typing myself. And with the advent of computers, learning the skills of typing have become even more important. Kids today, regardless of sex, learn to "keyboard" in school, often now in elementary school. I firmly believe that this has been a good change, for everyone should learn this skill to help them become better writers.

One small caveat, however. I think some schools are substituting "keyboarding" (aka typing) in their education scheme instead of teaching cursive writing. I think this is a damn shame. I have many Freshmen now who cannot take notes with any speed or clarity because they only PRINT everything.... except their signature. They do not have the ability to write in cursive.

So, so very foolish. Typing AND cursive writing are essential to allow a person the greatest ability to communicate as an adult in society.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home