The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

.
Anniversary

Yesterday was the 62nd Anniversary of the marriage of my mother and father. It hurts that they are both gone. Both my mother and father were wonderfully special people.

I miss speaking with my father about life and miss our gentle joking around. I miss how my father, especially later in life used to very much enjoy having us go to the local coney-dog place and both of us would eat two coney-dogs with the works and have fries and root beer. I miss his willingness to try new things. I miss visiting hardware stores with him and looking around and buying various parts. I miss my father's advice. I miss the scent of his pipe tobacco and aftershave. I miss sitting with him at the barbers while we each waited to get our hair cut.

I miss my mother very much. I miss our discussions about life and the gentle banter and rapport we had in discussing everything. I miss making cookies and fruitcake with her at the holidays. I miss helping her when she was ill. I miss taking care of her. I miss driving her around. I miss our trips together to Elias Brother's. 99% of the time she would order one of three things.... a Strawberry Waffle and bacon, or a BLT sandwich, or if she was in a more feisty mood, she would get potato pancakes. She was a very elegant woman, and miss her.

I miss both my mother and father greatly. I do not wish this feeling of emptiness on anyone. But it is what everyone is destined to feel, for it is all in the web of life. I wish it were not so.

Please God, if you hear me, please let the idea of heaven be true, and allow it to be a place where I will be able to be with my deceased loved ones again some day. Please allow heaven to be a place of joy where if I get to arrive there some day, that I will see, hear, and be with all those that I love who have passed away. And please allow my loved ones here on Earth to somehow know that I am safe and that I will be waiting for them when they eventually arrive as well. Please, O please let this be so.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home