The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, August 08, 2008

.
Razor Blades

The edge of the razor blade is so simple, it is almost primitive. Yet, in fact the edge itself can initiate death. Fortunately, for most this ability to kill is not the function for which the device is utilized.

Even though I have continually worn a beard and moustache for my entire adult life (well, since I was nineteen years old, so it is still many decades), I do know my way with a razor blade. Why you may ask? It is simple, because I find I need to regularly shave my neck, shave my cheeks, and help define the boundaries of my beard and moustache. My hirsute lifestyle gives me the freedom to miss a day or two of the intimacy most unfortunately cleanshaven males have with their own razors. When a man sports a beard and moustache, a day's worth or two day's worth of growth around the edges does not detract from the desired effect.

As I have aged, the rather uniform color of my hair has grown ever more cockeyed. In my younger days, my hair was very dark brown with a reddish cast. For the last several years, I look more akin to a calico cat in that both my hair and my beard and moustache erupt in all manner of color. As you would anticipate, I do of course have hairs that are dark brown and hairs that are grey. Yet, I also now have some hair that is quite black, hair that is blond, and some hairs, especially in certain areas of my beard and moustache are very stark white. The most interesting aspect of my hair is the wide scattering of very pronouncedly red hair throughout my entire visage as well. So think of it, while at a distance I have a primarily greyish disposition, up close, I have easily six distinctly different colors of hair scattered throughout my scalp, in my beard, and in my moustache.

I have not really done much study on the subject, but I have never understood why the "cleanshaven" look is the norm in the modern North American society. Why the hell would daily scraping of the face and lip region with an extremely sharp object be considered what is "required" for the pinnacle of male handsomeness? To me, the bearded norm that was last present in the mid-to-late 1800s seemed much more natural and appropriate. If anyone here knows of the origins of this silly practice, please do share it with us.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home