The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

.
Vladimir Nabokov Quotes



As it appears my writing style for fiction is most like Babokov's writing, I looked for some of his quotes. Here is what I found. Do you see his style in my fiction writing?

QUOTES:

A masterpiece of fiction is an original world and as such is not likely to fit the world of the reader.
Vladimir Nabokov

A novelist is, like all mortals, more fully at home on the surface of the present than in the ooze of the past.
Vladimir Nabokov

A work of art has no importance whatever to society. It is only important to the individual.
Vladimir Nabokov

A writer should have the precision of a poet and the imagination of a scientist.
Vladimir Nabokov

All my stories are webs of style and none seems at first blush to contain much kinetic matter. For me style is matter.
Vladimir Nabokov

Caress the detail, the divine detail.
Vladimir Nabokov

Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: it has to be shattered before being ascertained.
Vladimir Nabokov

Discussion in class, which means letting twenty young blockheads and two cocky neurotics discuss something that neither their teacher nor they know.
Vladimir Nabokov

Existence is a series of footnotes to a vast, obscure, unfinished masterpiece.
Vladimir Nabokov

Genius is an African who dreams up snow.
Vladimir Nabokov

Happy is the novelist who manages to preserve an actual love letter that he received when he was young within a work of fiction, embedded in it like a clean bullet in flabby flesh and quite secure there, among spurious lives.
Vladimir Nabokov

I cannot conceive how anybody in his right mind should go to a psychoanalyst.
Vladimir Nabokov

I confess, I do not believe in time.
Vladimir Nabokov

I have often noticed that after I had bestowed on the characters of my novels some treasured item of my past, it would pine away in the artificial world where I had so abruptly placed it.
Vladimir Nabokov

I think it is all a matter of love: the more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is.
Vladimir Nabokov

I think like a genius, I write like a distinguished author, and I speak like a child.
Vladimir Nabokov

I would like to spare the time and effort of hack reviewers and, generally, persons who move their lips when reading.
Vladimir Nabokov

Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature, should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too much.
Vladimir Nabokov

It is a short walk from the hallelujah to the hoot.
Vladimir Nabokov

It is hard, I submit, to loathe bloodshed, including war, more than I do, but it is still harder to exceed my loathing of the very nature of totalitarian states in which massacre is only an administrative detail.
Vladimir Nabokov

Thank you for any comments!

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home